Immucor Capture

Ephraim

Hi, everyone!:wave:

I am brand new to this site, so I hope I get it right! I work as a bench tech at a 200 bed hospital where everyone rotates through all the depts.(except Microbiology). Blood Bank is my special interest. We have recently begun the Capture system(immucor) for antibody screens, antibody ID. There is an automated system, but we are using the manual. Is anyone else using this? I am a wee bit nervous and would like to converse with someone who has experience with it. Previously we used Ortho's gel system.

Hi Ephraim! :wave: Welcome to BloodBankTalk. Our health system is currently viewing both Capture and Ortho Gel. We are not quite sure which way we will go. I was an Ortho Gel user for several years when I worked for another health system. We did try Capture for a time period and I remember that we were not as impressed at the time as we were with gel. I'm sure that there have some improvements to the system by now. The more you use it, the less aprehensive you will be. I'm sure that there is someone here on the forum that has had experience with it that can reassure you. Good luck!:)

• 5 months later...

Anyone from a beta site willing to share experiences/information on the automated Echo...We are trying to decide on Provue Vs. Echo. Echo is presented positively...but we will be going manual gel or solid phase prior to implementation. Both automated instruments have been submitted for approval-we currently use tube methods. Any input welcomed. Thanks :)

We have been using ProVue for little more than a year. I am very happy with ProVue. It's working as one tech! I am not trying to say that you can reduce the staff but you can use the ProVue and delegate other work to the staff.

We use ProVue for type and screen. We do not use ProVUe for panels for two reasons: 1) ProVue is occupied with type and screen 2) It uses lots of reagent. (if you can wait for 8 specimen you can run the whole batch but still you will be using 600 ul reagent per run compare to 400ul for manual gel technique--which is still not bad as comare to running one patient at a time on ProVue).

We've been using Immucor's ABS2000 since Oct. 1999 and can't imagine life without it. We have an Echo on the budget and I told my sales rep I want another instrument with only a double digit serial number. Our ABS is #85. The biggest difference is the ProVue is available today the Echo, probably early next spring. For me it's worth the wait but then our ABS is still working OK. Just getting a little old and creaky, just like the rest of the staff. I prefer the solid phase to the gel but I can't really give you a lot of reasons why, I just do.

I'm all for anything that makes life easier and automated testing does that, no matter the platform. There is nothing wrong with Gel and the ProVue. They are working very nicely for a number of facilities. One of the reasons we went with the ABS2000 was that it was the only fully automated, walkaway instrument available at the time and I could not wait for anything else to catch up. We've had no regrets and even after evaluating the ProVue we decided to stay with the Immucor line of instruments. All of these instruments are evolving rapidly and I can't wait to see what will be available in 5 years. Bottom line becomes, how long can you wait and which fits your needs best.

Manually, I still prefer tube testing. I really don't like either solid phase or gel when it comes to manual testing. Some new tricks are more difficult for this old dog than others.

Five years ago we bought a Tecan. I asked the rep how long she thought we would take to bring it online. She said we should be up and running within 6 weeks. It still isn't online. It has been occupying a testing station and gathering dust for 5 long years. Why? It wouldn't interface with SafeTrace TX. Anyone want to buy an unused Tecan cheap?

BC

We still have gel as a backup for antibody ID. The Capture totally missed an Anti-E on a WSLH proficiency survey and it was very clear in Ortho gel. We had other similar problems after that. Hotline suggested that we rap sharply on paper towels after the last wash to get all of the residual saline out. I think that helped, but not really sure. It has taken some time to get accustomed to reading the reactions and the techs here mostly freak at the auto controls.

We have an automatic washer that you can't turn your back on. There are floods. It has been adjusted from time to time, but I still don't trust it.

Overall things have improved since January, but I still would go back to Gel in a minute.