Temperature Monitoring

lef5501

I have been looking at the Hemo Temp II blood temp indicators to monitor the temperature of units signed out to OR, dialysis, etc. I want the irreversible indicator, but have also noticed the Hemo Temp II activator that Fisher sells. Does the irreversible indicator have to be activated prior to use and are there other ways to activate it besides the activator?

Yes, the flower needs to be activated. You can keep a bolus in your bact incubator - if you are going to use them a lot. I put mine on the bb heating block with a box of slides on top for 1 - 2 minutes, since I only use them sporadically. If using the block method, make sure the flower doesn't sit directly over a hole.

• 3 weeks later...

We are using the Safe-T-Vue indicator (Williams Laboratories). It is maintained in the refrigerator instead of in a heat block. When the indicator is placed on the blood bag, the two halves must be snapped together to activate the chemical.

My staff finds it easier to use than the Hemotemp indicator. The only challenge is to make sure you don't put excessive pressure on the center of the indicator when you snap the pieces together. It does not have a reversible portion, only the irreversible.