Podcasts in transfusion medicine

vhughes1116

Now that would be interesting.

I am serious. I once said to my medical director that I wish the Technical Manual were availabe on audio CD, he thought I was crazy. :D

But, no I am not aware of that. Google is your friend, give it a try. Maybe AABB would be interested in producing one.

• 5 months later...

Now that the forum software has been updated, we have the ability to host Podcasts.

I've found many related medicine, some that are marginally related to blood banking, but none that are all that good.

If anyone is aware, please let me know and I'll set up a new section of Podcasts.

• 3 weeks later...

Podcasting is the method of distributing multimedia files, such as audio or video programs, over the Internet using syndication feeds, for playback on mobile devices and personal computers. The term as originally coined by Ben Hammersley in an article in the Guardian on February 12, 2004 [1], was meant as a portmanteau of "broadcasting" and "iPod".

The term podcast, like 'radio', can mean both the content and the method of delivery. The host or author of a podcast is often called a podcaster. Though podcasters' web sites may also offer direct download or streaming of their content, a podcast is distinguished from other digital audio formats by its ability to be downloaded automatically using software capable of reading feeds like RSS or Atom.

Source

And a podcast would be advantageous how?

Maybe like a teleconference you could take in on your own schedule? Do you actually download a podcast and keep it as a file or is it more like streaming audio that is a one-time deal. If it was something you could keep as a file, it seems like it might have more flexibility (unless the site you get it from is going to keep it available for the 5 years you might want to refer to it).

Yes, you get to keep the file.

You download it from a site and play it on an MP3 player, such as an iPod. An iPod is not the only player though.

Or you can open it in a media player on your PC, there are many free ones, Windows Media Player, Real Player, Apple's Quick Time and I'm sure many others.

If we offered them here it would be the place you downloaded them from. Once you download it you play it from your own player whenever you want.

Oh, if we could find some good ones to post here, as all things are with our site, they'd be free to you. :)

Thanks Cliff....I am still not sure what a podcast is I guess I would just have to see one to understand....I probably already have but didn't know it was called a podcast. Would this be something that if once downloaded could be used for CE? Thanks, Geri

Thanks Cliff....I am still not sure what a podcast is I guess I would just have to see one to understand....I probably already have but didn't know it was called a podcast. Would this be something that if once downloaded could be used for CE? Thanks, Geri

No, this site is not accredited with anyone to offer CE.

Podcasts are mostly a fad in my humble opinion. I think they offer something for now, but I think that people are trying to find a use for the technology that was created.

For instance, National Public Radio (NPR) has several shows that have podcasts. Let's say you like On Point with Tom Ashbrook. You can subscribe to their podcast and each day when you sync your player, you'll get a new edition. That is pretty cool, but I suspect many people will never end up listening to it.

Again, just my opinion.