PEG Adsorption technique

I am planning to implement the PEG adsorption technique in my lab. The literature seems to indicate that it is roughly equivalent to using ZZAP treated cells for adsorption, but is easier to accomplish and takes less time. Since we are not a reference lab (but there's none available here!) but we have quite a few warm auto antibodies because of our clientele base, I believe this will be an effective process for dealing with these samples.

Does anyone have any experience with this procedure?

So, David, if you attempt the PEG Adsorption and do not get complete adsorption, can you use the partially adsorbed plasma containing PEG with an aliquot of the same cells treated with ZZAP, or would you have to start from square one with another plasma aliquot?

Claudia, are you planning to do auto- or allogeneic adsorptions, or both? We have been doing PEG adsorptions for several years, and our experience has been more efficient removal of the autoantibody regardless of the strength of reactivity. I assume you have read about the downside of this procedure (loss of alloantibody reactivity in some cases). We primarily use allogeneic adsorption with papain-treated cells, and most autoautoantibody reactivity is sufficiently removed after 1-2 adsorptions. Let me know if you need more information or references!

Hi, Nancy! We'll need to do both, though probably most will be allogeneic due to the paucity of red cells as well as the fact that many of these patients have been transfused. I want to give the PEG procedure a try because it seems to be a quicker and easier method, especially for less experienced staff. We have quite a few WAA, but not so many that it would be easy to keep the treated adsorbing cells stocked up like we did at ARC. We'll probably need to keep the ZZAP procedure as a backup for those high titer WAAs, though and will probably continue to stock W.A.R.M. for that.

• 4 years later...