Anti-A1--Significant?

CCard

I would like to hear from the blood banking community regarding Anti-A1 when detected and what transfusion practices are observed; my personal experience is while it is present, transfuse with group O (or A2) red cells, and resume the use of group A when the antibody is no longer detectable.

We have had a few cases of hemolysis caused by passively acquired anti-A1 from platelet products. To resolve this we started screening our group O platelet products for high titers of anti-A1 and anti-B. If either titer is high we restrict the unit to a group O patient.

Hi, all,

Maybe I've misunderstood what others have written, but anti-A1 (the type made by A2 patients) is usually (but not always) a cold-reactive clinically insignificant antibody. If anti-A1 in an A2 or A2B patient does not react at 37C, crossmatch compatible blood can be issued. There is no need to give group O or A2 RBC in these cases. Anti-A1 is the same as most examples of anti-N, -P1, -Lea, etc. If non-reactive at 37C, crossmatch-compatible RBC can be issued and antigen-negative units are not required.

Cases of hemolysis caused by anti-A1 produced by A2/A2B patients exist but are rare. Anti-A made by Group O and group B people (has a part that reacts with both A1 and A2 rbc) is another matter.

Cheers, Pat

TraQ: http://www.traqprogram.ca

We will give random A units to patients with Anti-A1, but we crossmatch them first-- through the IgG phase. If the crossmatch is compatible, we give the unit. If not we

will give O. We've had no problems doing this, and I can only think of one patient who

was incompatible with random A units. He did fine with O's.

If the patient is demostrating their anti-A1 then we will give them A1 neg or O units. I know it is not clinically significate, but we need to give Immediate Spin negative units. We would do the same for N, P1 or any other cold antibody. If they are reacting at IS then the crossmatch is incompatable.