Blood Bank Automation

rmiddleton

Does anyone have any experience or professional views, concerning PROvue versus Galileo? I will be purchasing one of the instruments this summer and would like some input to help me make the correct decision.

We have been using the ABS2000 since 1999. I am now in the process of getting the Galileo on the budget for purchase in 2006. I am not a fan of gel. Now you know my bias. With that said, I have looked at the PROVUE and was not impressed. While it is a step above the ABS2000 it has been surpassed by the Galileo in ease of use, cost per test, test volume and test menu. Actually I know of a facility in Colorado that did a side by side evaluation with the PROVUE and the ABS2000 and chose the ABS2000. To answer the next obvious question, no I'm not on Immucor's payroll I just don't mind sharing my opinion on something I feel strongly about. :wink:

Consider the cost of not having one. Would you need to hire more staff? Are mistakes happening that automation can prevent such as using outdatd reagents or forgetting to perform QC? Are you current staff being pushed to their limits and mistakes being made or "other duties as assigned" not being completed. I'm not sure of the price difference between the 2 but I can't imagine it is that much and I have found Immucor very willing to work with me. Also, consider the cost of operation, I do know that the cost of an ABO/Rh on the provue is considerably more that the cost on either the Galileo or the ABS2000.

Several years ago we compared the Ortho Tecan with the Immucor Rosys. The Tecan was barely automated, the cost per test was outrageous and the sample identification was scary. There were many opportunities for sample mix-up. We bought the Rosys. Although it is not perfect, we like it. We estimate that the Rosys does the work of 5 technologists. With the MT shortage I don't know where we would be today without it.

The PROVUE seems to be much more efficient than the Tecan, but the cost of the gel cards makes it prohibitive. We would probably not consider any Ortho intrument due to the cost factor.

The Galileo seems fantastic. It is everything that Rosys is not. My only issue with it is that it is gigantic. We would need to remove some counters to fit this free-standing instrument into our lab. But we are seriously considering it for when we upgrade in a few years.

Another option is the Olympus Tango. In my opinion it is comparable to the Galileo in function, but it is a countertop instrument. The cost per test will likely be similar. Olympus has been in the business of making automated instruments for a long time. As far as I know it has not yet been FDA approved, but they are close.

Gigantic!!! Granted the Galileo is not counter top, but gigantic! :wink:

Compared to some of the chemistry and hematology instruments, not to mention microbiology, it is almost pocket sized. :lol:

You are right it is a little on the large size but I've already decided to take out the counter my ABS2000 sits on to accomodate it.

Do you know the technology the Olympus Tango utilizes for ABO/Rh and Antibody Screens? I'm not that familiar with it. I've liked their microscopes but have not really been that impressed with their instruments.

John

• 1 year later...

I am a med-tech student (one more year to go!), and for one of my classes I have to do a project on automation in the blood bank. I need a minimun of 3 instruments. I have decided to use the Immucor ABS 2000, but I'm not sure about the Tecan Haemotyper, Ortho ProVue, and Ortho ID-MTS Gel Test. The information I need is: price (if available), what tests it does, and any other pertinent info. Also, am I correct in saying that these are all "Moderately Complex" under CLIA rules? Thank y'all so much!

ProVue uses ID-MTS Gel system so that is one instrument. You need to compare ProVue, Galileo and Tango. ABS 2000 and ProVue are different level instrument. Tecan and ABS 2000 are at same level and ProVue and Galileo are at same level. I can get you the cost of the gel cards...may be tomorrow. One of you guys have to give her the cost of the Immucor reagents.

I would suggest contacting the manufacturers. They will provide you with list prices which would make for a more realistic comparison. Also they should be more than happy to provide test methodology, test menu and anything else you would like to know. My corporate contracts will most likely not be a good comparision to what some one else might have to pay. If you can find some one to publish your work I'm sure there would be a number of folks that would love to see it.

For those of you who think the Galileo is gigantic, I don't know if you are aware, but Immucor does have a "mini" Galileo they exhibited at the 2005 AABB. I'm not sure if it's available to purchase yet, but it does exist and it is NICE! Keep a look out......:D

The "mini Galileo" is called the Echo. It should be available the end of this year. It is a random access, tabletop model with a 12-15 sample per hour throughput. It uses the same LIS interface as the Galileo so if your computer system has an interface for Galileo you will be able to interface the Echo.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried contacting manufacturers, but it takes a while to get the info from them, and I have about a week left before the project is due :redface:. I have been able to find some other resources though, but no one has detailed information. Maybe if I would have started on this back in March when I found out about it...

• 3 weeks later...

Our facility just completed a comparison of the Galileo and the ProVue. We went with the Galileo and are in the process of validating now. Our night shift supervisor was the lead on that project and has good data. If you are interested in contacting him, email me at lwalser@vcu.edu and I'll put you in touch.

• 4 months later...

Yes, I agree the Galileo is a heavyweight! We incorporated "Leo" into a specially built countertop/storage/work area to get the most out of our limited space once he was installed. We enjoy working with him. He's like a member of the family! We had budget money to purchase other instruments earlier, but waited for Galileo because it was the first truly "walkaway" instrument that could handle our volume.

The Echo, which is the new, countertop version of the Galileo, is into clinical trials. We'll be participating in these next month, so will let you know what we see.

MJ Drew :)

• 1 month later...

The Tango uses hemagglutination in microwells to perform ABORh testing with the reagents dried in the wells. The antibody screen is performed with a solid screen method which uses a protein A coating on the well to bind any screening cells which are coated with antibodies from the test.

• 11 months later...

Yes, this "mini" Galileo is called the ECHO and is supposed to be a faster cheaper version, but the ECHO is geared toward small/mid sized hospitals (I'm told 5 to 25 type and screen tests a day).

For all the current users of Immucor's ROSYS and ABS2000, would you consider replacing with their new ECHO? Or upgrade to a Galileo? Or not change a thing? My understanding is that the ROSYS and ABS2000 are legacy machines.

Thanks so much.

• 2 months later...

Immucor is currently having an issue providing Platinum Service to our blood bank :eek:!!! When they do show up to service our Galileo, they are not as informed about the instrument as our techs are. It is a great instrument, though! It has saved us alot of tech time and keeps us free to take care of other things. We previously had the ABS 2000 and it did a great job as well. We are a bust facility and needed a random access analyzer.

Yes, this "mini" Galileo is called the ECHO and is supposed to be a faster cheaper version, but the ECHO is geared toward small/mid sized hospitals (I'm told 5 to 25 type and screen tests a day).

For all the current users of Immucor's ROSYS and ABS2000, would you consider replacing with their new ECHO? Or upgrade to a Galileo? Or not change a thing? My understanding is that the ROSYS and ABS2000 are legacy machines.

Thanks so much.

We did replace our ABS2000 with an Echo. Started testing and reporting patient results on 12/14/07. So far so good. It is a new analyzer (our serial number is 124) so we expected a few problems. So far nothing over whelming. A few bugs and Immurcor is addressing those with some already fixed.

Looks like we may be asking for a second Echo in the not too distant future. A Galileo was too big for us but we were not sure if one Echo would be enough. Right now we are keeping our old ABS2000 as a back up but I'm not sure how long it will last. We've been testing on it since 1999.

• 3 months later...