Helmer Refrigerators

Jane

Dawn,

Do you have the i series or the Horizon series? I'm wondering if the i series is worth the extra money. Also does your refrig do the high/low alarm checks? If it does how does it work?

Thanks!!

Jane

We have the horizon series. All of our temperature monitoring is done by the REES system so we don't need the i series. As for alarm checks, we don't do them since we have REES. We absolutely love the new Helmer we have, another one is being delievered this week.

We have the i series for the double door Helmer. Its great. We do the manuel high/low checks quarterly, and the system ones monthly. Yes, a bit of extra work but we are in New York.

My problem is the temperature charts, often tracing problems. Ours is two years old and the newer ones have improved.

• 4 months later...

We also have the double door Helmer refrigerator. We initially had a problem with the chart recorder, which took awhile until issue was rectified.

We have recently has some small parts come off the bottom of one door. This piece helped keep the door from swing all the weay open.

Overall we like the look of the helmer refrigerators and it keeps the temperature within the desired range. I do have the cheaper model, because of cost issue.

Our Operating Room purchased a Kelvinator Scientific (without consulting the Blood Bank) for blood storage. The Blood Bank is attempting to validate it, but we have some issues with the alarm setup. A burned out bulb (Low or High indicator) disables the audible alarm. There is also no "test" button to check the low or high visual indicators, so we would never know when a bulb is out and the alarm won't sound if the temp goes too high or low. Does anyone have experience with these? Does the FDA require certain criteria before a refrigerator can be labeled "Blood Storage Device" Technical Support has been no help whatsoever, it is a "new model and they are unfamiliar with it" Also, there is only one probe in the upper chamber for the entire cabinet and recorder chart combined??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Do you have the same amount of storage capacity with the Helmer FFP freezers that you had with the Jewetts? We are having major problems with the new Jewett plasma freezers that we have gotten in in the last year, and I am ready to replace them, but was concerned about the storage capacity of the Helmers. Seems like the inner chamber is smaller according to the specs. How many FFP can you store in a Helmer?

To add to ChrisH comment. We purchased a Jewett freezer 2 and one half years ago and had their service people in regularly for months after (no easy task to get hold of them, either). It still does not work well--fans ice up regularly and several of the drawers have broken on their tracks. Quite frankly, I would never buy anything from Jewett again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jane,

Our decision to purchase the Helmer Refrigerators was based upon (1) the other items we had purchased from them and were satisfied with, (2) the response from the company when there were (a few) problems over the years, and (3) the fact that I had met the late Jerry Helmer when he and his sons were just getting this company started. Jerry's son Dave runs this family business now, and they appear very customer-oriented.

Alot of bells and whistles on the i-series. With deference to Dave Helmer and his design team, not certain you need that. Please note that there are no door springs to close the doors automatically, if you are used to that, and there are no door stops at the 90-degree angle to prevent the doors from hitting the wall or the door of another side-by-side refrigerator. Otherwise, 6-months into our ownwership, the staff just loves them!