Informed Consent for Blood Transfusions

beverleyj

On 6/28/2023 at 5:46 AM, beverleyj said:

Can anyone tell me what their informed consent process is for a blood transfusion in Ohio? Ohio law says that it must be obtained by the ordering provider. This is very hard to do in a hospital setting.

Not sure why is this very hard, maybe I am missing something.  The patient is informed about the transfusion and all the risks involved and then they give or not give their consent.  It is very hard in Ohio for the provider to get a consent form signed? 

14 hours ago, SbbPerson said:

Not sure why is this very hard, maybe I am missing something.  The patient is informed about the transfusion and all the risks involved and then they give or not give their consent.  It is very hard in Ohio for the provider to get a consent form signed? 

My guess is the very hard part is getting the provider  (I very much dislike that term) to document the informed consent with a patient's signature.  How accessible is the form when the physician is actually with the patient?  If someone isn't there to hand the form to them they won't go looking for it.  On a side note, whose responsibility is it to make sure the form is signed and in the chart?  I certainly hope it's not the transfusion service's.  

:coffeecup:

Edited by John C. Staley