CMV negative blood products

jojo808

Hi all,

Our facility provides Leukoreduced red cells and platelets. My question is: does anyone know the statistics on CMV transmission/infection if someone (who is CMV negative) receives non-confirmed CMV negative blood products?

I've read that it is important to give CMV neg products to:

a.   CMV negative recipients of allogenic stem cell and bone marrow transplants.

b.   Solid organ transplant recipients.

c.   Immunocompromised patients (HIV).

We have MD's ordering Irradiated / cmv neg blood products on "Leukemia" patients and Neuropenic patients which I thought was not necessary at all. Are we wasting time and $$$$$?

Not sure of the statistics, but I believe it is very rare, especially if you use leukoreduced red cells.  We consider ours "CMV safe", but we do give CMV seronegative units for transplants 6 months pre- and post-transplant.

We would not give just for leukemia, but we would give irradiated for that.

The latest stats I have seen (googled) consider CMV seronegative and leukoreduced equivalent in prevention of CMV infection. I know that UNMC has used leukoreduced only for the past couple of years. They have very active transplant and oncology programs and their NICU is very busy.

I agree with Terri and in my pediatric days we only gave CMV= units to BMT candidates and recipients.

Our neonatologists were good with CMV safe and it saved us something like $66,000 the first year we moved away from CMV tested units.

Current adult world, do not use CMV= units for oncology patients.  Again $$$ and docs say not necessary.