Verify Now vs. PFA

kholshoe

When we dumped the bleeding time years ago, we started with the PFA100.  It can be used as a general platlelet dysfunction screen and can also indicate an aspirin effect. A "platelet function test" is often ordered here to screen patients before they have a procedure.

The VerifyNow has cartridges for specific drugs that affect platelet function: P2Y12 inhibitors (like Plavix), aspirin, and IIb/IIIa inhibitors (Reopro).  We use the first two here.  There are alot of people on Plavix these days.  We do not use the aspirin test as much.

Both are like small  point-of-care analyzers.  Relatively easy to use, although the cartridges are a bit expensive.  They both get a fair amount of use.

Scott

Thank you, Scott!  Just to clarify - the PFA-100 does not screen for Plavix therapy, correct?  It will only screen for Aspirin?  And, from what I understood - the Verify Now will screen for both.

Does one get more use over the other in your facility? 

kholshoe: to clarify your clarification (hopefully) - the PFA100 has two different test cartridges, COL/EPI is a generic screen of platelet function - it just tells you if the platelets are working or not; if it comes out abnormal, you have the option of running the COL/ADP - this one tells you whether the 'malfunction' is due to aspirin or some plt defect (vWD, glanzmanns, etc.) - if it comes out normal the first abnormal result was due to aspirin, if the ADP is still abnormal, you'd have to do a full plt aggregation study.

So it would really depend on what your intended use is - like Scott, we have both the PFA (which we use for general pre-surg screening) and the VerifyNow - which is used specifically for aspirin and plavix testing.

Mabel: the TEG and Rotem haven't been used too much outside of trauma, and (as far as i know) definitely not for monitoring plavix.  I did hear one lecture on the possibilities of using it to screen for thrombophilia.  I think in the future they'll definitely be used for more than just trauma and surgery cases.

I would agree that the TEG or Rotem and the like would be overkill for routine platelet function testing.  Even if we had a TEG (we might get one eventually for OR or trauma cases), I am pretty sure we would not use it for checking for aspirin or plavix effects.

Scott

Thanks everyone!  I think that helps clarify things for me.  I'll be having a student work with me on comparing these two analyzers and doing a cost-analysis and additional research.  If we have any other questions - I know where to ask!