Cord blood ABO

youngwookim

Our lab is receiving cord in either EDTA tube or serum tube. Is washing required for ABO typing on a cord blood sample to minimize the affects of Wharton's jelly? I'm founding couple literatures on Wharton's jelly with DAT but none on ABORh.

Sorry to make a new posting about this topic, I didn't realize there was posting of "washing cord blood". But I am specifically looking for reference. If AABB manual,what page? I'm just not finding it.

Edited by youngwookim

Well, the answer to that one depends on how good your staff are at obtaining 'clean' cord blood samples. I know that nowadays, most cord samples are 'clean'. In that case, for normal routine work, and depending on the technique you use, it should not be necessary to wash. But if your (obligatory, in my opinion!) reagent control is positive, or your results are at all 'odd', then I would definitely wash.

• 2 weeks later...

In 13 years I have only seen one case of Wharton's jelly contamination. That case was washed and the results were only delayed by about 30 minutes - the only reason for us doing a cord blood is to issue Anti-D, so it is hardly a pressing issue. Why make work for yourself? :)