Genotype AB only reacting with anti-A

We have a patient with an anomalous ABO group. Serologically the forward group looks like an A but there is no reaction with A or B cells in the reverse group. We did the tests using Ortho, BioRad and 4°C tube. All tests results were the same so we did the genotype and it grouped as an AB using an Inno-Train kit . Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Possibilities:

1. A very weak subgroup of B. Full genotyping should show if the B gene is normal.

2. Something is blocking the translation of a normal B gene into a normal B antigen. (At the transferase level, probably. If it were the H then the A would be affected too.

3. Both the B gene and the B antigen are normal but something in the plasma is blocking the reaction between the B antigen and the anti-B.

4. A cis-AB where the B is very abnormal. Knowing the parent's groups might solve that one.

5. A leukaemia or similar that has knocked out the B antigen, hopefully temporarily.

6. (And this would be my favorite). Post bone marrow transplant A to AB

7. A newborn whose A has developed but not yet his B

I'm sure Malcolm will find some other possibilities that I haven't thought of.

Try washing the cells really well then repeat the antigen testing in tube at 4°C using an excess of anti-B (human if possible). You could try an adsorption-elution as well

It could just be that, as there is competition between the 3-N-alpha-D-acetylgalactosyl transferase and the 3-N-alpha-D-galactosyl transferase (these enzymes are the actual gene product, rather than the A or B antigen), that there is either a mutation in the latter (as Anna suggests), or that it is just that the former is winning hands down!

Thank you for your replies. My next question is which ABO group would you transfuse? At present there is no blood requirement but we have recommended low titre group O until we have a satisfactory explanation of the serological results