Pre-Medication References

KKidd

I am looking for some references regarding pre-medication prior to transfusion. My manager wants to loook at it regarding a standard of care that would would be presented to the Med Exec Committee.

Thanks for your help!

:please:

Our oncologist pre-medicate. This often causes a decrease in temperature and can confuse nurses when the tylenol wears off and temperature increases one degree but isn't abnormal!

We also may have missed a hemolytic reaction - patient was pre-treated so did not have a temperature increase. He was prone to cardiac complications so presented as that ... I wonder if the hematuria would have been ignored without the temp. increase. Dr. clued into it right away. We had given group O pooled platelets to a group A patient (he was later diagnosed with PNH and the physician explains it as his cells were primed with complement all ready to burst when the Anti-A was introduced :(