Tube testing requirements

jchp

We still have the Dade Immufuges, in addition the the Sorvall cellwasher 2.

I read that no open tubes of blood should be centrifuged in the Technical Manual.

We do tube testing for everything but antibody screens and panels which we use gel for.

Are we supposed to cover each of the tubes? Do we need a centrifuge with an inside cover or what?

Thank you

j

I have been performing serological tube testing my entire career (over 20 years) and I don't recall seeing anyone covering tubes when centrifuging for typing, screens or panels. We still use old reliable Clay-Adams Sero-fuges as well as cellwasher 2s. Someone I guess could be concerned about creating aerosols, but I think the risk is extremely low. It may be just referring to spinning down samples at initial receipt (larger volumes). If you were to take this statment seriously and cover all tubes when centrifuging, I would say good luck when the covered tubes are placed in an automated cell washer like a cellwasher 2.