AsubB or B(A)?

I agree with shily.

It could also just actually be something as simple as the phenotype being AxB, but the geotype being A2/B, with the A transferase, which is competing with the B transferase, in terms of getting their own terminal immunodominant sugar residues onto the backbone chains, losing out in the competition, but I think shily is correct.

In another thread you said that cis AB people usually have a weak anti-B. This case has a weak anti-A it appears. Can it work either way? Or is this why it is more likely to be an AsubB than a cisAB?

Mabel, I think the CisAB and the B(A) is genetic type rather than serologic type. Cis AB is the A transferase has one or more point change, it can produce A and B transferase ,although B is weak .

And B(A) is just the other side, the B transferase has some base change, it can produce B and weak A transferase.

And most of CisAB has anti-B, but some not.

The two is same because they all has one alle express O .

I don't know if I say it clearly.

In another thread you said that cis AB people usually have a weak anti-B. This case has a weak anti-A it appears. Can it work either way? Or is this why it is more likely to be an AsubB than a cisAB?

To be honest, and so not to claim kudos, when it is not deserved, it was actually my very good friend and colleague John Eggington who said that; all I did was agree with him. That having been said, whenever I have seen examples of cis AB, it has been the B antigen that has been weaker than the A antigen, but there has also been anti-B in the plasma that is weak, not the anti-A. So, yes, this is one reason why I am thinking in terms of A subgroup B, rather than cisAB.

Thanks, Yanxia. I think I understand although it seems like they should use similar nomenclature like A(B) and B(A) rather than calling one cis AB. Or maybe I should just go read about them instead of making you all explain them to me. :)

No Mabel. A(B) and B(A) are not quite the same as cisAB, and so the nomenclature cannot be "standardised".

A(B) and B(A) are conditions (if that is the correct word, and I don't think it is!) where an apparent group A individual can, eventually, adsorb out anti-B, but the B antigen on their red cells is incredibly weak (and vice verse for B(A)), but the cisAB phenotype, although giving somewhat weaker reactions with anti-A and/or anti-B (usually anti-B) than would be expected, the reactions are most certainly not as weak as those given by A(B) and B(A) individuals.

How I would interpret these results is dependent upon what reagents were used! Different reagents are in use all over the world. We cannot expect that all reagents of a given specificity will react in the same way! In the US, we have one manufacturer's monoclonal anti-A, Ortho's BioClone anti-A which contains MHO4, that reacts with B(A) RBCs. While Most B(A) react weakly with this anti-A, some react quite well (e.g. 2+). The plasma is expected to contain anti-A (reacting with both A1 and A2 RBCs) whereas plasma from AsubB may occasionally contain weak anti-A1. Testing other monoclonal anti-A reagents (i.e. not containing the MHO4 clone) would be used to differentiate a B(A) from AsubB. The weak reactivity of the plasma with the A1 and A2 RBCs could just be this donor's anti-A, reacting weaker than expected. I would test this donor's RBCs with other monoclonal anti-A and the plasma with other A1 and A2 RBCs.

What puzzels me is the strong reaction with the anti H (3+), with a normal B antigen I would expect that the H antigen would be weaker. In cisAB a stronger reaction with anti H can be seen.

It can be a strong anti H reagent, how strong is the reagent with A1 and A2 control cells?

Peter

We used the anti-A、anti-B、anti-A1、 anti-H、A1 、A2、B and screen cell of immucor company.

Anti-A is gamma clone.

I had used another manufacturer's anti-A and A1 、A2 cell. The result is same.

Anti-H reagent with A1 、A2 control cells result (A1=neg , A2 =2+)

I agree with Ginal.

Plasma from A(sub)B may occasionally contain weak anti-A1,so it can react with A1 cell.

why serum from the donor agglutinate both A1 and A2 cell. I am confused

My English is not good. Am I understood?