Yikes, another Auto-D? C and G?

Thought I should make a new Post; but this goes along with the Anti-D Epidemic issue....or not.

We just had a work-up on a new patient (for us). She had been transfused elsewhere so when the screen came up Positive, the Tech. called there. They said that when they worked her up early June, it looked like "maybe" an Anti-E and Autoantibody (they did not say any specificity).

So, for us:

1. Screening Cells I and II POS (3-cell screen)

2. Panel 1+ with all Rh POS Cells, and 1+ with the 1 r'r cell.

3. Autocontrol 3+; Eluate 4+ on all cells

5. Patient is Rh POS and C+

Anti-C and Anti-G?? Warm Auto; non-specific? Yikes! :cries:Wouldn't be so concerned if it weren't for our Anti-D Epidemic problem. This one may just be straight forward!:rolleyes:

Brenda Hutson, CLS(ASCP)SBB

Absolutely; I was just testing you! :o Actually, it hit me (what I had said) right about the time I hit ENTER! :tongue: I am brain-dead on all of this at this point. I am going to sit down Monday and write down every single thing I know about those 3 patients; then see what they have in common. It has to be some strange aspect of the blood draw; or the tubes; or the reagents; etc. etc. It has to be an internal issue (maybe they all drank from the Hospital water fountain and someone poured Anti-D in the drain....I know, the conclusion of a desperate woman)!!:cries:

Thanks,

Brenda

No, if the patient is both D+ and C+, it is not going to be anti-G. At best, it is going to be a mimicking Rh auto-antibody.

I know what is your worry ,Brenda.

If it is autoantibody mimicking Rh specity, I think we can adsorb it out with C and D neg cells, if not ,it is allo, and you will think about patial antigen.

JUst my thought, wish it can give you some idea.

I just recently had a patient that had a warm-auto (non-specific) convert to mimic Rh specificty ©. I knew this was the only explaination because this patient had been antigen typed previously and was C+. We still sent it to our reference lab to be sure and transfused C- units.