Anti-D in weak D(type 2) patient?

The very rare case has been reported, according to my friend and colleague Joyce Poole at the International Blood Group Reference Laboratory at Filton in the UK, although the anti-D produced is usually very weak itself.

When you consider how many people worldwide have the Weak D Type 2 phenotype, and how many times these individuals must have been transfused with D Positive blood or have had D Positive babies, and the fact that only very few of them have produced an alloanti-D, you begin to realise just what a rare event this is.

Having performed a risk/benefit analysis, we treat them as D Positive in the NHSBT.

It could do, but you also need to be careful that it wasn't an auto-anti-D in the first place. I am not saying that the anti-D was detectable before the last transfusion, but, on occasions, a transfusion can either stimulate a de novo autoantibody, or can stimulate an autoantibody that is too weak for easy detection to become more easily detectable.

If possible, give the patient rr red cells if he/she requires transfusion, and then perform a DAT and/or an eluation three months after the last transfusion. If you can elute anti-D after this length of time, it is probably an auto-anti-D (more common than a lot of people think). If you cannot elute anti-D, but anti-D is still detectable in the patient's plasma, it is probably an alloanti-D.

Edited by Malcolm Needs
Forgot part of what I was going to say. Head like a sieve.

When the pt. will need more transfusions and we give rr red cells, could we try eluation 3 month after the last D pos.-transfusion, when DAT is still positive?

I think she requires more RBCs in the next time, so we probably won´t have a complete 3 month transfusion-free interval while she is in our hospital.

K.

I have seen a lot of weak warm auto antibodies in gel that seem to "prefer" D pos cells--often react more strongly with them. A true allo-anti-D shouldn't cause a pos DAT/Auto control, right? Although the patient could have a pos DAT that is not related to the other problems, I suppose.