storage devices that have had temps out of range

Megan Martinez

I'm updating a procedure on storage devices for our blood components. At issue: once a temperature has recovered --say a fuse blew and the freezer was too warm so all the components were moved temporarily, but now the temp. is back in range and the alarm has been tested -- how long must one wait before moving components back?

Or is it a question of just doing whatever is spelled out in one's procedure?

Thanks!

Our procedure states that the extent of requalification depends on the repair. The extent/type of requalification is documented on the repair form that is completed for each piece of equipment requiring service. The form needs to be completed before blood is moved back to the storage device. I usually monitor temp for 24 hours before returning blood to a storage device but this is not required by any regulatory agency (I think).

JB

I think it also depends on how good your temporary storage is. If you have another blood fridge to move it to that is pretty secure but if you have it in boxes or crammed in the Chem fridge then moving product back as soon as you are sure temp is stable seems reasonable. The only reason I can think of for waiting 24 hrs after temp stabilizes is if you are afraid the unit will fail again...and you may not want to keep moving all the product.