Noise Control for patient safety

VACASE

I was wondering if anyone had a policy on or had looked into one on conversations among technologists in the laboratory. I was reading about the Sterile Cockpit Rule that the FAA has as a regulation requiring pilots to refrain from non-essential activities during critical phases of flight and I could see how non-essential activities in the lab could interfere with laboratory testing that requires the technologist's undivided attention, especially in the Blood Bank. Any thoughts?

This would be a welcome addition to protocols here. In reality I do not know how it would be possible what with all of the multi-tasking a tech is expected to perform and differing duties all time sensitive. If you have an ephinay as to how this is possible, I would be the first to jump onto that wagon!!

As a part of our hospital-wide patient safety initiatives, we have created "Distraction-free zones". These are areas throughout the hospital where the staff member is performing a critical step and should not be interrupted during the process. Applying that to the Transfusion Service, we have placed those signs at all of the workstations where blood products are issued. (the signs are attached)

Theoretically, every process from testing to issue could be considered critical, but we decided that this is the one area where catching a mistake would be most crucial. Issuing the blood is the last place where an error could be found. Since this is a hospital-wide effort of which EVERY employee has been trained on, it has actually helped out. Staff will often stop and wait until the process is completed to begin talking.

Stephanie Townsend, MT(ASCP)SBB

07-08-10 DFZ Signage PROOF.pdf

Distraction Free Zone Blood Issue.ppt

Beyond training folks to wait until someone has completed their current task before interupting them I think it is not feasible to expect people to work in a destraction free enviroment. We are social animals and putting us in isolation is a torture technique not a work enviroment. Some of us actually function best with a little background noise, myself included. I have always had music playing in the background while working. I find the noise of a busy lab far more distracting than a little music covering it up.

I do, however, find it very difficult when someone walks up and starts asking questions when I am obviously in the middle of something. I will raise my hand inticating I'm busy and most folks will step back and wait patiently. For those that don't, I've found that quietly saying :"shut the @#$$ up and I'll be with you in a minute" seems to work. :slap:

Our Blood Bank made some "no chat unless stat" areas at our work benches and the sign out bench. We adopted this idea from nursing, they have these in front of their Pyxis machines for when they pull high risk meds.

We used red tape on the floor and the understanding is that if a tech is inside one of the boxes to not interrupt them unless you need something addressed stat.

They have helped cut down on the interruptions some but remember, med techs/CLS's are human beings, not instruments with switches that can be turned on and off as necessary.

No cell phones allowed, they are asked to step out and talk if urgent or wait for their break.

Music is definitely allowed and required. Thankfully, each shift is homogenous and they like the same music, strangely they lower it a notch when I stroll in???:)

No one chats while performing a Blood group or other...what of course they don't?!?!:blahblah:

No one chats while issuing, what?!?!. If I put up a sign it would show lack of trust. I spot check and guess what my voice gets pretty loud every 6 months :rage: :rage: . The effect of which wears out in 6 months... so...Nooooo its usually only with the new appointees and I am not bad,:threaten: actually I am very nice and that makes everyone want to keep me that way :please::) hehe