Daily Review of BB testing

mdcart

Looking to get some feedback on how the smaller labs perform daily review of blood bank testing. We recently got cited during an JACHO inspection for not performing a daily review of blood bank testing, we were reviewing the testing on a weekly basis. Our problem is that we are a small lab, usually one tech working per shift, and I was the one responsible for reviewing the work from the previous week and another tech was reviewing the other week. Since I perform most of the blood bank testing and really should not be reviewing my own work, my dilemma is perfoming the daily review with such short staffing. Any ideas or insight would be helpful.

Our computer prints a report of all work done the prior day. This is reviewed for accuracy and completeness (was proper follow up testing done?). The daily qc is reviewed-mostly to make sure it wasn't forgotten.

In lieu of a computer report, you could go thru the previous days specimens and check for completeness, in the LIS or the paperwork.

We have a unique process for BB work review. The techs review the work that was done by the previous shift techs, so that errors are caught as soon as possible. This works for us because we have a total of 11 techs that rotate ONLY in the Transfusion Service (no generalists). New employees do not perform review of other's work until they have been here about 6 months and pass a separate competancy that we created.

I still do the review of antibody workups and transfusion reactions.

We are a pediatric hospital with about 400 beds - about 6,000 type and screens per year and 13,000 transfusions (lots of aliquots).:redface:

Stephanie Townsend, MT(ASCP)SBB

Have worked in all size labs - I agree small labs pose a problem (I am now back in a small lab). We have a quick review by another member of staff from another dept coming in before crossmatch is released to check all work (countersigned). For Group & holds, they also do check group from primary sample (as above) and check work as well & sign off on it all. They will run a quick eye over the daily and new batch QC at the same time - very quick and works OK. On call- reviewed by scientist performing a separate group separated in space and time from the original sample and rechecking work and paperwork. The work is reviewed by another scientist when normal shifts resume. Another useful rule is that any reaction workup must be performed by scientist other than one who originally performed the crossmatch.

Cheers

Eoin

in our Blood Bank lab which is the biggest and the main in the country , we do review of BB testing on daily basis,

there is a bench called reveiew , after the technician complete all the test will refere the request to review bench , the technician in this bench will check the request starting from ID and test order, the reaction of the test , resulting , documentation of crossmatching, chosin proper blood components thin he release in the system , if there is any mistake he will report to the supervisor and will not release til the mistake will be solved.any cases for further investigation will be referd to technical incharge on the dyty.

This bench on the three duty (morning , evening and night).

• 1 year later...
I am looking for documented support to stress the fact this needs to be done daily.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You might review Chapter 1 Quality Systems: Theory and Practice of the current edition of the AABB Technical Manual.