New computer system and armbands

We are going live with a new computer version on June 1. We also have an identifier called a "random number" that is ONLY found on the armband and it assigned by registration. This has always been difficult for the blood bank to deal with.

Here is my problem. When our new system goes live, ALL the armbands must change. This includes the random number. Nursing will be responsible for replacing the armbands. From the blood bank perspective, I believe that both armbands need to remain on the patient for a minimum of 3 days to cover any existing BBK testing. Nursing wants to cut off the old armband about 6 hours prior to go-live and attach it to the patient chart for reference. I am VERY uncomfortable with this.

Has anyone had this experience with a computer change? What would you do in this situation?

I am in the Just Say No boat. Nursing usually does not completely understand the safety issues involved with identification from a blood bank perspective (and many times do not care to know either as they do not feel they need to know). Approaching it from a delay in availability of blood products is probably going to be your best argument.

We had a policy that any time the patient got a new arm band for any reason the old one stayed in place as long as the patient had an active bloodbank sample that had been identified using the original amband. If the orginal armband was removed the patient was redrawn. If you don't win this battle you can win the one where all patients with an active blood bank sample will be redrawn. There is no room for compromise at that point. :bonk::bonk: