Absolute Retic Counts

SMILLER

Does anyone report out an absolute retic count from thier analyzer as opposed to the old corrected % retic? It seems like the use of a corrected % count is archaic, since it seems like all the analyzers that do auto retics report out a absolute in addition to the %.

We still take the % from the analyzer and calculate a corrected retic %. I guess if we switched we would have to come up with a validated reference range and possibly do some education.

Talking with the Heme supervisor he stated that we report out the absolute, the %, and the retic fraction. When we began performing automated retics our pathologist felt the above information would be of more use to the renal dialysis unit. Hope this helps.

Thanks Deny. I forgot about the Immature Retic Fraction. That would be a whole other thing we would have to educate our people on if we started reporting it. However, we do not have peds or a dialysis unit here so I am thinking our pathologist would pass on the ide aof reporting the IRF out.