Rapid onset of pos DAT

Mabel Adams

I've seen 3 definite cases and one probable due to cefotetan here as well, all caught by Blood Bank. In one case, the OB post-C section, we found it as part of a workup for anemia. In the other 3 cases, it was unsuspected by the physician. They just wanted to give their anemic patient some blood. I think a case study approach would be the best education. Does your facility do grand rounds? Could you invite someone from your university hospital (like a resident in blood bank) to present the topic?

• 2 weeks later...

I was mistaken about the blood types; one patient was O neg instead of A neg.  The latest cefotetan antibody came back positive. Patient is discharged and doing ok.  To be followed by Hem-Onc to taper the steroids.  I read one of Garraty's articles that said they don't know if steroids actually help or not but they are often given.

I think Grand Rounds is a good idea.  Seems like we might not have enough material for the whole presentation so I am thinking of "Current topics in Transfusion Medicine" and including this with the concept of using A plasma for emergency release instead of AB.  It would be nice to have something that people can easily refer back to over time rather than a one-time presentation though.  I started writing something up.  If it gets presentable I will post it.