CAP TRM 42310-42315 Therapeutic Phlebotomies on In Patients

Mary**

We do not perform phlebotomies on out patients. We are asked to do a few inpatients annually. These inpatients probably do not have a diagnosis that would warrant needing a phlebotomy, nor will they need a therapeutic plan as is described in these regulations. Any suggestions on how to handle tese regs?

I do very few in pt TPs . . . as you intimate, they do not readily comply with the CAP standards. I just perform them as per the MD requests. There is no real treatment plan like you have for a hemochromatosis pt . . . it is usually short term to get hct lower. If/when they need more after discharge, then I would have the MD complete one of our protocol requests. Actually, all the info required by CAP is usually in the chart if you dig deep enough.

• 2 months later...

Hi David and Mary,

I'm having trouble understanding what a "therapeutic plan" is for our outpatient hemochromatosis pts. Does it include just a "goal hct." or is it much more involved. I'm working on this CAP checklist and realizing our ther. phleb. program needs a little beefing up after these regs came out. Will you give me some guidance??

Thanks,

Becky

Beside some basic medical history, our request form for for serial therapeutic phlebotomy requires the following information (this is "the plan"):

1. Indication for phlebotomy, with diagnosis code

2. Frequency of phelbotomy

3. Hold for hematocrit <____%

4. Labs to be drawn (e.g.: iron profile every 3 months)

5. Special requests

We draw a standard unit of 450 + 45 mL unless otherwise specified. The order is good for up to one year or until any of the parameters change, whichever comes first.