CBC differentials: reporting % vs Absolutes

SMILLER

Years ago we dropped reporting % differentials on our CBCs. The idea being that absolute counts are more significant if elevated or lowered. There is still some contention here among the techs as to whether %s should be still be used to screen for slide review (eg, high lymphs to be screened for reactive or atypical morphology).

Do any other labs still report or otherwise make decisions based on % counts for automated diffs?

At my hospital we report both % and absolute numbers for differentials-seems most of the Dr's are still more familiar with %-except for maybe the oncology Drs who look for the ANC when they are giving chemo. we do not rep[ort out an ANC-they have to derive that themselves......

• 2 weeks later...
Years ago we dropped reporting % differentials on our CBCs. The idea being that absolute counts are more significant if elevated or lowered. There is still some contention here among the techs as to whether %s should be still be used to screen for slide review (eg, high lymphs to be screened for reactive or atypical morphology).

Do any other labs still report or otherwise make decisions based on % counts for automated diffs?

I concur with SilverBlood. :):)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I totally agree with you that % is really useless and I think even misleading

We report absolute and relative values on our automated diffs. The manual diff are reported in % only because that's the way it been done for years. Most docs like the % because they can remember the reference ranges and the relationship, ie: 70/30, 60/40. Our decision rules to perform a manual are based on the absolute values provided the cell populations are in typical positions. I personally don't believe that you should calculate absolute values for a manual diff based on only 100 counted cells. Jusy my "professional" opinion. I also find it interesting the most of our docs and nurses don't know how to calculate the ANC.

• 1 month later...
I personally don't believe that you should calculate absolute values for a manual diff based on only 100 counted cells. Jusy my "professional" opinion.

Hi Joseph

And when you issue a percentage based report, how many cells do you count then?

Steve

:confused::confused:

Edited by Steven Jeff

• 3 months later...