is it O or B???

yaya

a 35 years in labour patients admitted and specimen was send for blood bank for type and screening and the results was:

forward grouping was O rh(D)pos using ortho cells

reverse was B reaction as 4+ reaction with A1cells (ortho) and negative with B cells

using autovue automation

so the revers cells were repeated using conventional method and incubated for 10-15 min at 4c with AC and ICT and the results were all 4+ as a presence of cold agglutinin

what else i can do to tell the blood group?

Another thing you can do (if the lady is Le(a-b+)) is to get some of her saliva, boil it for a very short while, put it through some form of filter (a bit of tissue paper will do) and see if it will inhibit your ABO antisera, to see if she secretes a and/or B blood group substance (and H come to that, if you happen to have any anti-H to hand).

As she is pregnant, it might be worthwhile doing this whatever is her Lewis type, as the Lewis antigen often weakens during pregnancy, due to adsorption by an increased production of plasma lipids, but she will still sectrete the same amount of ABH substance.

Hi yaya,

If the patient urgently requires blood and the antibody screen is negative you could safely give group O. How much additional testing you can do is dependent on what type of reagents you have on hand. Personally, if the patient does not require blood I may not do any further testing and communicate with the patient's physician that she is probably group O and would ask the physician if he would like additional testing to determine blood group.

eventually i found that she did bone marrow transplantation !!!!!! thats explain every thing for me

How irritating!! (That no one shared this info with you, that is.) You know, in my many years in Blood Banking, I don't think I ever remember a situation where someone called the Blood Bank to notify them that the patient had a bone marrow transplant. Either we "overheard" the info, or we became familiar with the patient or family and knew that was in their plans, or the patient told us, etc. But never has a physician or nurse shared this info (unless we specifically asked them.) I just think that they just don't think!!!

I'm glad that your mystery has been solved, yaya.

Donna

Edited by L106

How irritating!! (That no one shared this info with you, that is.) You know, in my many years in Blood Banking, I don't think I ever remember a situation where someone called the Blood Bank to notify them that the patient had a bone marrow transplant. Either we "overheard" the info, or we became familiar with the patient or family and knew that was in their plans, or the patient told us, etc. But never has a physician or nurse shared this info (unless we specifically asked them.) I just think that they just don't think!!!

I'm glad that your mystery has been solved, yaya.

Donna

I think the problem is that the average physician/surgeon/nurse has no concept whatsoever of what kinds of problems this sort of thing can cause - ABO/Rh discrepancies and not providing irradiated blood products for the patient, are just a start!