A big fibrin-rich clot in platelet collect

Liz

I didnt think of that, its possible; however the reason I didnt think of it was because the return (RBCs and plasma) to the patient didnt ring the alarm. I thought more of a deficient fibrinolytic molecule or something that happened in the cold....but what. If the citrate was deficient, how can I prove it? I still have the collect.

Liz,

I would strongly encourage you to contact the manufacturer of your apheresis equipment and ask them to help you resolve it. They may wish to have the collection sent to them for investigation. I would be more inclined to think it related to something triggered by a colder room temperature. Is your collection area near a window that is exposed to colder air? Or under an air conditioning vent? This may sound silly, but living in North Dakota through winter seasons makes me think this way!! We actually found a frozen water pipe in one of our exterior walls because the builders neglected to insulate that wall...go figure, but strange things happen just to keep our lives interesting!

Dear Deb,

Thank you so much, why didn't I think of that. I just called called the manufacturer and he thanked me?! and is very pleased to pick it up and have it investigated. Great! I am very interested in seeing what the donor has or lacks. And I want to inform him so that he takes care of his health, like never going to a cold place if possible. That is why I love this forum!!!!!! You have these great ideas !!!

Thank you

Liz