Cell Washer

MEG

Recently, one of our Helmer cell washers was unplugged, and removed from the department for a few hours. The hinges for the lid needed tightened. I asked the staff to do optimum time of centrifugation on the cell washers. They were not happy and felt this was not needed. I looked in the manufacturer's manual and of course nothing speaks to this. In the AABB Technical Manual it say do what the manufacturer recommends. I feel that if the equipment is moved or unplugged there is potential for malfunction. Am over the top on this? :confused:

Since the hinges on the lid are not directly involved in the cell washing procedure I agree with your staff. I'd probably just run daily QC, maybe check the fill volume and call it quits.

Think about it this way, is fixing the hinges directly involved in the cell washing process and would tightening them affect your test results?

I agree that was my first response, but Clinical had to unplugg the cellwasher and take it 4 floors down to their department, and he did not have a cart he carried it. So there was opportunity to drop it or bump it. Thanks for you input, it helps so have others perspectives :redface::redface:

• 2 weeks later...