IS with AHG crossmatch

Lcsmrz

I vaguely remember a post from months ago, regarding a need to perform IS phase along with an AHG crossmatch.

The posting had to do with some newsletter stating that CLIA demands a test for ABO incompatibility, to which an AHG crossmatch is particularly insensitive. If I remember correctly -- always suspect in my old age -- the discussion scientifically understood the rationale, but disagreed with the requirement. A subsequent article (somewhere) studied the ability of an AHG crossmatch to detect ABO incompatibility, and the numbers showed that (surprise!) it does a very poor job.

Does anyone remember the AABB or CLIA commenting on this?

I have attached the CLIA Newsletter from August 2009 which addresses the use of an AHG Gel crossmatch in additon to an immediate spin or computer crossmatch. I received this newsletter directly from a state CMS inspector. Hope this helps.

CNN Aug 09.pdf

WHAT THE HECK???? "way ti"...what is that? I have apparently adopted Malcolm's spelling "issues".

Malcolm,

I thought for sure I would get a response from you after this post! :cool: I am feeling neglected!:D

Hope all is well! Keep up your informative posts! They are VERY helpful.:)