for issueing platelets -should we type the pt?

lalamb

Our policy is to have at least 2 ABO/Rh's on file for the patients one of which must have been performed within the last 12 months at time of order for platelets. Not sure why this particular time frame, but this has been in place for many years :confused:. I will see if I can find out why the time frame and if any other applies per Standards.

I do not feel comfortable transfusing platelets (or any other product for that matter) without an ABO/Rh result on the patient. We don not strictly adhere to transfusing type specific platelets at my institution.

I require a specimen to be drawn for a type every admission to make sure that I have the correct patient and that specimen expires upon discharge.

I hope this helps.

We require a ABO/Rh before platelets are given. We follow the back typing in cases where non-ABO specific platelets are given to assess the need to change to ABO specific units. We have set a volume of non-ABO specific platelets to 300ml and then do a back typing to monitor the patients status and switch to specific ABO types when necessary. Also, all patients under the age of 15 get ABO specific platelets. It has worked very well for us.

John

• 9 months later...