Just For Fun--Blood Bank Quiz Game!

LisaM

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'll put in a question: Cold agglutinins/antibodies are seen in both adults and children, but the underlying condition that causes these, is primarily one thing for adults and another for children. Can you name these conditions/disease states?

• 2 weeks later...
:poke: and the next question is??? c'mon someone, i started SBB skewl and i'm relying on y'all to help me be a real smarty pants:imslow: i think i'll end up in the nut-house or the jail-house before this is over.....taking on this stuff and just "inheriting" ANAs and the first read-out on anaerobes. :cries::cries::cries::cries::cries::cries::cries::cries::cries::cries::cries::cries::cries::cries::cries::cries::cries::cries::cries:

Is this the mutation that is only in Papua New Guinea? You have me intrigued now.

Mr Duffy, in whom it was discovered would be chuffed to think that we are still debating what was originally described in him.

Cheers

Eoin

Is this the mutation that is only in Papua New Guinea? You have me intrigued now.

Mr Duffy, in whom it was discovered would be chuffed to think that we are still debating what was originally described in him.

Cheers

Eoin

I've obviously been away too long (or drank far too much cider whilst I was away)!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't understand your post Eoin (it's probably me being extremely thick - again).

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Yay! Malcolm's back!

I'll post a question to jumpstart this thread again: Last week, we had a patient who has no blood type; everything across the board was negative, front type, backtype and Rh. It was repeated in tube as well as gel, and the same thing. What do you think would be a cause/causes for this to happen?

I've obviously been away too long (or drank far too much cider whilst I was away)!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't understand your post Eoin (it's probably me being extremely thick - again).

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I should have replied with the question. Can't even find it in the thread now - you guys have far too much time to be doing posts, but it was something to do with the duffy system ?????? I thought the answer was to do with Duffy negative africans who carry a silent Fy-b allele with T to C substitution at 46. This has apparently evolved twice in black africans, and an apparent evolution of this phenotype occurs in Papua New Guinea. (Sorry I can't find the question). Maybe it's like the three elderly gentlemen walking along in England. The first one says "I say, is that Wembly?" The second replies "No, it's Thursday" and the third one says "Yes, Iam rather, let's pop in here for a drink".

See, I'm even confused myself. Happens when you take a day or two off.

Cheers, Eoin.

Actually the patient has Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and had a total body irradiation, and a bone marrow transplant. Also, host vs.graft disease has kicked in. That's all we were given for a history, by the doc.

All I can say about this one is "ACK!". And I here I was complaining about the 15 yr old sickle cell with 11 AB's. I'm interested to hear how this one comes out.

I should have replied with the question. Can't even find it in the thread now - you guys have far too much time to be doing posts, but it was something to do with the duffy system ?????? I thought the answer was to do with Duffy negative africans who carry a silent Fy-b allele with T to C substitution at 46. This has apparently evolved twice in black africans, and an apparent evolution of this phenotype occurs in Papua New Guinea. (Sorry I can't find the question). Maybe it's like the three elderly gentlemen walking along in England. The first one says "I say, is that Wembly?" The second replies "No, it's Thursday" and the third one says "Yes, Iam rather, let's pop in here for a drink".

See, I'm even confused myself. Happens when you take a day or two off.

Cheers, Eoin.

Thanks Eoin (I DO miss the thanks button!)

All I can say about this one is "ACK!". And I here I was complaining about the 15 yr old sickle cell with 11 AB's. I'm interested to hear how this one comes out.

The plan is to give the patient O-neg irradiated units, and wait and see if his blood type "comes back" at some point in the future. . . . .

Poor kid--11 antibodies! Yikes! We have a few sickle cell patients but none with that many antibodies. One of them is almost 70 years old and still kicking, even with all the blood we've pumped into her. Real troopers, they all are!

here's a question:

Which blood group system is unique in that the antigens are located on a Type II membrane glycoprotein: it traverses the cell membrane only once and has a large extracellular domain having 15 cysteine residues producing elaborate conformational folding through disulfide bonding. In addition to being present on erythroid cells, this system of blood group antigens can also be detected in myeloid progenitor cells, testis, lymphoid tissues, and in skeletal muscle.