Just For Fun--Blood Bank Quiz Game!

LisaM

Ok, let's have some fun and test our knowledge at the same time! I'll leave a blood bank question, and the next person to come along has to answer it then leave a question for the next person in their post, and so on.

Here's the first one:

What complement component is associated with the Chido-Rodgers antigen system?

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, let's have some fun and test our knowledge at the same time! I'll leave a blood bank question, and the next person to come along has to answer it then leave a question for the next person in their post, and so on.

Here's the first one:

What complement component is associated with the Chido-Rodgers antigen system?

Easy peasy! C4 (mind you, I worked with Carolyn Giles, who was amongst the people that discovered this, and I'm Ch negative myself, so I'm cheating).

Now, which of the two is associated with C4A, and which with C4B?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I vaguely remember its the Gerbich null, but not the antigens. (I only remember that little bit because I recently read something about it) so there is a partial answer. (If its right so far. lol) someone provide the antigens.

We had a GE3 antibody a few years back or I would have only known Gerbich system from studying for SBB. Only one I saw in 20 years (hopefully the only one.) We all had to review literature when we got the reference report back.

Leach GE:-2,-3,-4

OK, the Leach phenotype is GPC/D deficiency (and yes, I had to look it up).

I'll go for something a smidge easier. What is the genetic relationship between Fy and Rh?

Genes of both Fy and Rh systems are carried on Chromosome 1.

Well Adiecast, we had a 53 year old female sickle-cell pt with Fy5 that had Rh issues. I remember looking up what Fy5 was because it had been so long since we had even read anything about it.......going to get my book out now (again, sigh) something about null cells?

This is a very interesting activity. I have already learned 3 things. Since there is an answer without a question, I will post a question to begin again. What was the first blood group to be identified using antiglobulin testing?

This is a very interesting activity. I have already learned 3 things. Since there is an answer without a question, I will post a question to begin again. What was the first blood group to be identified using antiglobulin testing?

I'll leave this to others, but just to make you jealous, I have a photocopy of the paper and met all of the authors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

Malcolm,

What was the date of that paper? Are you dating yourself a little bit :D:D. Just kidding! Yes that does make me jealous by the way. :)

1946, and please note, Deny, that I said I had a photocopy of the original paper - not that I was around when it was published!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

Hey come on; it's no good just answering the question (the answer was correct of course), but you have to leave another question yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Wasn't sure if the author wanted something fancier than what I answered.

OK, now that it has been revealed that the Kell system was the first discovered involving AHG, how about if you go ahead and tell us who authored the paper, Malcolm.

By the way, my biggest thrill was meeting P.L. Mollison in the mid-1970's. (You weren't roommates with him in college, were you Malcolm?) (Sorry! I couldn't resist!!)

Donna

I have seen several answers while reading over the years, but the answer I see most is 16 on 4 regions. Assuming that answer is acceptable, (and I'm not sure it is. LOL) lets stay with the D vibe.

We have several donors who are D+ and have an apparent anti-D, I know thats not amazing, but its always fun. (I'm ez to amuse) What other antibody could be mimicking D on my Rh positive patient, and what can I test with to prove it is not there.

Wasn't sure if the author wanted something fancier than what I answered.

OK, now that it has been revealed that the Kell system was the first discovered involving AHG, how about if you go ahead and tell us who authored the paper, Malcolm.

By the way, my biggest thrill was meeting P.L. Mollison in the mid-1970's. (You weren't roommates with him in college, were you Malcolm?) (Sorry! I couldn't resist!!)

Donna

Coombs RRA, Mourant AE, Race RR. In vivo isosensitisation of red cells in babies withhaemolytic disease. Lancet 1946; i: 264-266.

Yes, Prof. Patrick Mollison is one of the all time greats of the world of blood transfusion. Unfortunately, he does not enjoy the best of health these days.

One of my greatest thrills was meeting Phillip Levine, when he came over to visit the MRC Blood Group Unit in London, when it was run by Rob Race and Ruth Sanger. Amongst their team, incidentally, were Patricia Tippett, Dame Professor Marcella Contreras (when she was a lowly Senior Registrar, if I remember correctly), a very young Geoff Poole and a very young Christine Lomas (before she became Christine Lomas-Francis). My own "bosses" in the BGRL were Dr. Kenneth Goldsmith, Dr. Carolyn Giles, Dr. Elizabeth Ikin and a very youny Joyce Poole (who was, at the time, a mere Senior Medical Laboratory Technician) which wasn't a bad bunch! Also working in the same building as Rob Race etc were a couple of people by the name of Prof Walter Morgan and Prof Winifred Watkins, and the janitor looking after the building was Sid Smith (after whom the blood group is named)!

Ah, happy days.

Sorry to name drop so much and, in any case, this is not really relevant to this thread, but hey!

:D:D:D:D:D

First blood group identified by antiglobulin test was Kell in 1946.

How many different types of mutation are known to result in weak D?

Cor, that's a really hard one Deny!

Do you really mean how many different types of mutations (e.g. point mutation, amino acid substitution etc) or are you being really evil and asking how many different kinds of Weak D have been described? If it's the latter, I would have to give an estimate, as they are published all over the place; not just in "blood transfusion" journals.

I have seen several answers while reading over the years, but the answer I see most is 16 on 4 regions. Assuming that answer is acceptable, (and I'm not sure it is. LOL) lets stay with the D vibe.

We have several donors who are D+ and have an apparent anti-D, I know thats not amazing, but its always fun. (I'm ez to amuse) What other antibody could be mimicking D on my Rh positive patient, and what can I test with to prove it is not there.

On the grounds that nobody has yet answered Deny's question, I'll have a go at this.

The chances are that there are three distinct answers.

The first is that it is an auto-anti-D (or, at least, a mimicking-auto-anti-D).

The second is that it is a high-grade Partial D (such as Partial DIII) with a genuine allo-anti-D.

The third is the one that I think you are getting at, and that is anti-LW, and you can "prove" it most easily by using a cord blood that is D-, but would have a much stronger LW antigen than adult D-, LW+ blood.

Following from the Kell question (although I do realise that it isn't yet my turn to set a question), what was the first Kell antigen to be described?