abo subgroups

I've a donor WHO CAME FOR THE FIRST TIME

tad negative tai negative

FORWARD ABO tested with 3 monoclonal reagents ANTI B +--- ANTI-AB ++-- ANTI-A ----

H substance neg

REVERSE ABO anti-a1 +++- anti-a2 ++-- O neg anti-b neg

I think may be a B subgroups but the results with H substance make me surprise

someone can help me

I've a donor WHO CAME FOR THE FIRST TIME

tad negative tai negative

FORWARD ABO tested with 3 monoclonal reagents ANTI B +--- ANTI-AB ++-- ANTI-A ----

H substance neg

REVERSE ABO anti-a1 +++- anti-a2 ++-- O neg anti-b neg

I think may be a B subgroups but the results with H substance make me surprise

someone can help me

I have little or no doubt that this donor is a subgroup of B, but am not that surprised about the result with anti-H (if that is what you mean by H substance negative). The reason I say this is because, although there may be a "mutation" of the classical D-galactose immunodominant sugar residue present, this may be sufficient in quantity to "block" the reaction with the anti-H.

If you want to confirm that the donor is group B, try Lewis typing the donor. If the donor is either Le(a-b+) or an Le(a-b-) secretor, the next time they donate, ask permission to coolect some of their saliva, and if they agree, test this for the presence of B and H substance by inhibition of anti-B and anti-H, using anti-A as a negative control. You may find, upon titration, that the H substance is "stronger" than would be imagined at first. You can use anti-A as a negative control.

If the donor is Le(a+b-), or an Le(a-b-) non-secretor, you may still be able to get some useful results, but they will not be as clear cut as if the donor is a secretor.

The other thing you could try is adsorption of both anti-A, anti-B and anti-H (separately, of course) and then elution using the Lui technique. DO NOT TRY THIS WITH ANTI-A,B, as anti-A,B will cross-react with a weak A antigen.

Ultimately, of course, you could send a sample to have molecular work performed upon it, but this is expensive.

Has the donor got a name that suggests they may (or their ancestors may) have come from the Far East? Weak B phenotypes are more common in the Far East than other parts of the world (although, of course, they do exist in other parts of the world).

Congratulations on your findings, by the way; they are rare (albeit that the donor will have to be regarded as a straightforward B, even if they turn out to be a subgroup)!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D

I think this donor maybe Bx type, because anti-AB result is stronger than anti-A.

As to the anti-H result, I wonder what the other cells reaction(2 group B cells , 2 group O cells, we will use those cells as control , in case the reagent is inactive or other case can make the test not exactly).

For the reverse type , I think you can put it under 4 degree C 20 minutes to see if you can get some different result to room temperature.

I think this donor maybe Bx type, because anti-AB result is stronger than anti-A.

As to the anti-H result, I wonder what the other cells reaction(2 group B cells , 2 group O cells, we will use those cells as control , in case the reagent is inactive or other case can make the test not exactly).

For the reverse type , I think you can put it under 4 degree C 20 minutes to see if you can get some different result to room temperature.

Good points Shily.

:):):):)

I appreciate so much your reccomandation

I've just type Le ( a+b-) and I don't believe the donor is Bx because the H test was negative

thanks

Are you certain the donor is H Negative, and not just H Weak?

Have you performed adsorption and elution studies?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

By the way, your English is fine - far better than my Italian (which is non-existant)!

:eek::eek::eek:

I'have made adsorbtion eluition test positive with B and negatve with H and I have sent a specimen to reference laboratory in Rome for molecular biology studies

thanks

Hmm, could be a Bh, like the one described by Fluffyagglutinates!

:D:D:D:confused::confused::confused:

Please would you let us know the eventual outcome? I would be extremely interested.