Transfusion Slips

cell1

We require it in my Hospital in the UK as documented evidence that the red cell unit has been transfused. The slip/compatibility report that is returned has the signatures and names of the staff doing the checks before setting up the transfusion, in addition to the time started and completed is recorded. The slips are returned to the blood bank checked for compliance. All this in order to satisfy the requirements of the MHRA.

Regards

Steve

:):):)

Mandated to be completed in the medical record. We have the requisition attached to the blood unit when it leaves blood bank with nursing signature and issuing tech signature. This remains attached to the unit until disposal of the unit. It then is added to the medical record. Nursing has a transfusion record form used for each unit transfused to keep track of vitals, etc. This a two part form. Original goes to med record and duplicate comes to blood bank. I review for completeness, check for any potential "missed" reactions, and signatures in all the right places. Official copy is the med record copy. The other is for our internal use in blood bank.

We have a tag on our units that must be attached to the unit to identify the patient while it is being transfused and when it is set up. We don't get those back, but I do issue a transfusion documentation sheet ( called Issue/transfuse card in meditech) that I have to get back to prove the disposition of the units. It is really fun to chase paper all over the hospital. Really fun.