Staff Reading SOPs

RR1

I think it is important to check to make sure that they know the stuff they do daily so you can be sure they are following accurately your SOP that they have memorized. For the weird stuff, I want to be sure that they know where to find the SOP when they need it. It isn't important that they have it memorized.

The problem is that people will memorize the stuff they do routinely and then perform it routinely (including their own personal shortcuts), possibly without implementing revisions when you make them, or they will perform the test the way they were originally trained and not the way your SOP states. Widget making (doing the same thing over and over) lends itself to slippage in actual performance.

Seriously, is every tech reading and absorbing every word in the WHOLE set of procedures? Realistically, in a 'read it all once a year' setting, they are skimming and signing just to get the task done. I don't see that as effective.

Do you review the driver's license manual every year? Or the manual for your TV set? etc. etc. etc.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is important to check to make sure that they know the stuff they do daily so you can be sure they are following accurately your SOP that they have memorized. For the weird stuff, I want to be sure that they know where to find the SOP when they need it. It isn't important that they have it memorized.

The problem is that people will memorize the stuff they do routinely and then perform it routinely (including their own personal shortcuts), possibly without implementing revisions when you make them, or they will perform the test the way they were originally trained and not the way your SOP states. Widget making (doing the same thing over and over) lends itself to slippage in actual performance.

All very good points.

Seriously, is every tech reading and absorbing every word in the WHOLE set of procedures? Realistically, in a 'read it all once a year' setting, they are skimming and signing just to get the task done. I don't see that as effective.

Do you review the driver's license manual every year? Or the manual for your TV set? etc. etc. etc.

Also excellent points.

I agree with you. I was thinking more in terms of testing to be sure the staff are following procedure, have implemented changes, and know where to find the information. I think the only requirement for annual review is CAP's (already posted here by another) requirement for *management*. The other requirement is that there is documentation that staff are knowledgeable about the contents (not that they have reviewed the manual annually).