'Provocative donors?'

Good question. My first job was at a large hospital blood bank with a donor program. I donated every 8 weeks. Many of the recipients of my blood developed anti-E. I am R2R2 so they got a double dose. Since I am B Pos, there was never any interest in freezing my blood. After a while, I wondered if my donations were doing more harm then good so I switched to becoming a platelet donor.

Funny, I never thought of myself as provocative. :giggle:

Dear all, just curious after a thought attacked me in the early hours of the morning.....

We all know that some antigens are more immunogenic than others, but I wonder if anyone has ever looked into whether some donors are more immunogenic than others...

I am quite certain that you are absolutely correct Anna.

One only has to look at the range of antigens per red cell quoted for the D antigen for different Rh haplotypes, and the range of antigens per red cell for the different subtypes of A, and expand this for each of the other antigens in all the different Blood Group Systems, that means it must be harder to make an argument against your theory.

However, one should also look at factors in the recipient. Many learned papers are now being published linking HLA types to the ability to produce specific antibodies, e.g. Reviron D, Dettori I, Ferrera V, Legrand D, Touinssi M, Mercier P, de Micco P, Chiaroni J. HLA-DRB1 alleles and Jka immunization. Transfusion 2005; 45: 956-959.

It is likely, therefore, that there is, perhaps, and for want of a better way of putting it, a sort of "symbiosis" involved between donor and recipient.

:wow::wow::wow:

I am quite certain that you are absolutely correct Anna.

One only has to look at the range of antigens per red cell quoted for the D antigen for different Rh haplotypes, and the range of antigens per red cell for the different subtypes of A, and expand this for each of the other antigens in all the different Blood Group Systems, that means it must be harder to make an argument against your theory.

However, one should also look at factors in the recipient. Many learned papers are now being published linking HLA types to the ability to produce specific antibodies, e.g. Reviron D, Dettori I, Ferrera V, Legrand D, Touinssi M, Mercier P, de Micco P, Chiaroni J. HLA-DRB1 alleles and Jka immunization. Transfusion 2005; 45: 956-959.

It is likely, therefore, that there is, perhaps, and for want of a better way of putting it, a sort of "symbiosis" involved between donor and recipient.

:wow::wow::wow:

Which is sort of the idea behind some of the TRALI theories. If you have a patient who is susceptible and a donor with the right (wrong?) antibodies, watch out!

:cries: