Electronic transport system

jdavis6

Do you issue blood to transport person without two forms of patient ID?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do you issue blood to transport person without two forms of patient ID?

• Is this an electronic/ computer system?
    • Does the transport person have to get the ID before coming to the Blood Bank?

Does anyone have experience with an computer transport system in which the person who shows up to get the blood for a patient only knows the patient name and place of delivery - does not have two forms of patient identifier? Do you give blood to the transport person without 2 forms of patient ID?

We do not allow issue without two forms of ID. I did, however, inspect a facility that had a different issue process. The floor put in an order with the dispatcher to send someone to get blood. This order was entered into the computer and printed in blood bank with patient information. The transporter came only knowing what floor they were going to...not even the patient's name. The blood was issued based on the printout. While I was not comfortable with this process, I was not able to cite for it because it met the letter of the Standards. They were checking all of their records against the printed request, they knew who transported it and where they went. I felt there was a disconnect in the transport piece, sort of like in a chain of custody.

:confused::confuse:

:eek:That is scary. What if there were 2 recepients on the same floor. That happens all the time here.

My thought exactly. It was a small place, so maybe they don't ever see that. The problem is that there isn't a requirement that the request comes with the transporter. The requirement seems to include only the check of the request against the blood information before issue and at the bedside. CAP also has a requirement for training transporters on proper handling of blood products.

In our facility, by policy only a physician or licensed nurse (RN, LVN) may pickup blood or blood products. Once our tech completes the crossmatch (always serological), they print what we call a Pickup Slip to the requesting floor. The person picking up the blood then brings the pickup slip, and the order from the chart to the blood bank and they will be issued the blood, and only in rare instances do we make exceptions to the rule.

Scott