CLIA and unsupervised MLT in BB

tigersudz

Hello all,

I just finished an interview for a lab tech position in a hospital. I was scheduled for a 2nd peer panel interview, but...

The lab manager did add that I may not be hired because scheduling me for overnights might become difficult because she was informed that CLIA does not allow for unsupervised MLT's in BB.

This came as a shock to me because never in my 2 years of school did the program director mention it. Also, another MLT who graduated when I did, obtained an overnight position where they are frequently placed in BB ,under what I understand, is an unsupervised situation. And...

At least two other area hospitals are advertising positions for overnights allowing MLT certification. I know one only keeps 2 techs on overnights. I would suspect a similar situation for the other due to size and similar patient volume.

I am asking because I am concerned about the true value of my MLT certification. I recently graduated with a 3.96 and thought I would have more career opportunities than have turned out. I know the economic environment is placing a squeeze on many different sectors, but, I am wondering if this could be a factor in my inability to find employment within a medical laboratory.

Additionally, BB was my favorite subject. It is incredibly facinating. I would be saddened to find I can learn the didactics of it, but, am excluded from its practice.

Thank you for any information on this matter.

Angela

Continue your education to get MT degree--so many more doors will open for you. It is very tricky allowing an MLT work unsupervised in many states. It's too bad your college Program Director was not as forthright as he/she could have been about the difference in opportunities for MLT vs MT, let alone the pay differences.

My next goal is to obtain my MLS(to be called this since THEY merged). The impediment to my goal is obtaining employment within the field for three years in order to sit for the exam(I have a BS). I am wondering how much this is affecting my situation. I really appreciate the feedback and would love too hear more on the subject!

If you are looking strictly at CLIA, then an unsupervised MLT in Blood Bank is fine.

see below:

Each individual performing high complexity testing must--

(a) Possess a current license issued by the State in which the

laboratory is located, if such licensing is required; and

(B) Meet one of the following requirements:

(1) Be a doctor of medicine, doctor of osteopathy, or doctor of

podiatric medicine licensed to practice medicine, osteopathy, or

podiatry in the State in which the laboratory is located or have earned

a doctoral, master's or bachelor's degree in a chemical, physical,

biological or clinical laboratory science, or medical technology from an

accredited institution;

(2)(i) Have earned an associate degree in a laboratory science, or

medical laboratory technology from an accredited institution or--

This is taken directly from the regs.

Here is the link if you would like to look in to them yourself:

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/clia/regs/subpart_m.aspx#493.1489

In my previous life my night staff were MLTs who worked unsupervised. Granted, they were going to school to complete their MT/CLS at the same time but that was not an issue for us.

I think some one is either using CLIA as an excuse or they are misinterpreting something they have read. If they insist that an MLT can't work upsupervised in THEIR bloodbank then look else where, you will find what you are looking for.

Good luck.

:explosion

My organization, in the state of Missouri, allows MLT's to work any shift any dept including BB unsupervised. It's not the credential, it's the competency.

In my many years I have worked with many different credentialed individuals(MLT through SBB) and I've seen both good and not so good blood bankers at all levels.

If where you interviewed is using this as an "excuse" or if it is in fact true, then you might not want to work for them anyway, they'd keep hanging it over your head.

Sometimes this policy is set by individual hospitals but I think it limits their applicant pool, there are MANY qualified MLT's out there that are more than capable of working in BB either supervised or not.

Angela -

Congratulations on completing your MLT schooling. I agree with all the preceding responses to your post.

LaraT23 is correct about the actual CLIA regulations. As tbostock said, check your state regulations. If MTL restriction is not in your state regs, then either the institution involved is misunderstanding the CLIA regs or their Laboratory may have their own set of staffing standards that they wish to meet. And, as Likewine99 said, you probably would be happier working for some other institution that would welcome and value your skills. (3.96 is not too shabby!) It sounds like you must be in a geographical area with many hospitals, so that is fortunate.

I'm sure you will find successful employment as an MLT while pursuing your goal a higher certification, which is very wise and will broaden your future opportunities. Go for it!

I have worked with good and not-so-good laboratorians of all levels. One of the best blood bankers I have known over my years was an MLT who progressed to an MT (and functioned at an SBB level!) Good luck, Angela.

The key wording in the CLIA reg is that you have to have an AA or AS to work unsupervised. Obviously there are also State regulations that if more stringent would superseed this. Many facilities either do not read the fine print of the CLIA reg or choose to use that as a reason for not allowing MLT's to work alone in especially BB but somtimes any Dept. Their reasoning is usally based on the fact that they have been burnt by doing such. Unfortunately the whole group gets a bad rap because of one bad apple! I am disappointed that your instructor in your program did not fully explain the differences in the education requirements and job opportunities.

I am a little confused about your situation since in a later post you state that you have a BS degree - is it in a science field? If so maybe you would qualify to take the ASCP exam and could be a full fledged MT(CLS) and not have to worry about all of this!

Hang in there - there is a career path for you - you just have to find your way through!

Good Luck!