antigen plus ab-id

I would like to hear any input, good or bad, from users of the Antigen plus AB-ID software program. We are a medium size transfusion service with mostly generalist. We do a fair amount of antibody identifications. I am looking for tools that may help speed along antibody identification process on those busy days.

Thank you!

Jodi, I've only ever seen these being demonstrated by company reps, and have never used one in anger myself, but I think most of them are a waste of money (which is one of the reasons I've never used one in anger).

They are fine if you are using the panel supplied by the people selling you the software and if the antibody is either a simple monospecific or a simple combination, but anything other than that and forget it.

SOme allow you to input other panels, but you have to make absolutely certain that you put in each and every antigen correctly (otherwise you end up with rubbish; as in rubbish in, rubbish out) and you then still have the problem that they will only identify a simple monospecific or a simple combination.

You will find that, eventually, it is far quicker to teach you staff to read antibody panel sheets than it is to rely on computers. It also gives them an advantage over those who only rely on computers when, and if, they go for a job elsewhere; this skill is transferable.

Others, of course, may disagree violently with me! It wouldn't be the first time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:):)

Edited by Malcolm Needs

Oddly enough Malcolm, this is one subject we can agree upon!!!

Identifying antibodies, 99.9% of the time is not difficult. The 0.1% it is ask for help.

If you staff are registered CLS/MTs or CLT/MLTs they should be able to do this with little effort and training. If they are OJTs they probably should not be working in blood bank.

:handshake

Oddly enough Malcolm, this is one subject we can agree upon!!!

Identifying antibodies, 99.9% of the time is not difficult. The 0.1% it is ask for help.

If you staff are registered CLS/MTs or CLT/MLTs they should be able to do this with little effort and training. If they are OJTs they probably should not be working in blood bank.

:handshake

Oh come on John, I'm sure we agree on a lot more things, it's just that it sometimes isn't worth commenting unless we can provoke a discussion! I most certainly have an awful lot of respect for your views.

:D

By the way, did you see my post about the PowerPoint concerning quantitation of anti-D and/or anti-c? It's too big to put on the site, but I am more than happy to email it to you if you can let me have an address.

Jody,

We started using a commercially built program (not the one you mentioned) and it has helped the techs become more confident with doing rule-outs and select cells. Our facility is also staffed by generalists who rotate through the department so it may be a month or so between times that they need to do an antibody workup and they were never really comfortable with anything but the absolutely clear cut single antibodies so our reference lab bill was horrible. We have been able to cut the reference bill in half in approx. 6 months. The program that we are using only rules out on homozygous cells and we use 3 heterozygous or 1 homozyogous cell to rule out so the techs still have to get into cell panel and analyze.

In short, the use of the software has been a great teaching tool and raised the staff's confidence level in doing antibody identifications. It also makes it much easier for me to review panels every morning.

Shelley

I have to agree with shelleyk482. Initially, I was opposed to this software, but after using it I began to like it. First, it double checks my rule outs. I can see exactly how many tiimes Jka was ruled out on a homozygous cell (I can sleep better at night). Second, when I need to run select cells I can easily search for them from the same program instead of searching through piles of old panel antigrams. I know people who have worked exclusively in a blood bank for years and still can't get the ruling out part. This is a great help to them.

JB

We are a moderate sized immunohematology reference laboratory with 4.0 FTEs and have been using Antigen Plus for at least 10 years. We are currently on version 6.1. We do not use the antibody identification portion of the software. Haven't validated it and currently don't plan to validate it. Like others I just don't "feel" confident in letting a program evaluate test results.

We use Antigen Plus to create our selected cell panels - we make alot of them. We currently get the Medion and Immucor panel data files - Ortho panels are available if you go to the newest version. We also enter the the antigen profiles for our frozen rare reagent rbcs. The amount of time saved and elimination of transcription errors has beeen well worth the cost of the program. We can generally create and printout a selected cell panel containing 10 or more cells in 10 minutes or less. My staff would mutiny if I took away their Antigen Plus.

I haven't seen it, but it sounds to me as if it would be of more help in a reference lab and not a transfusion service. And like others I agree that you can't teach a computer to deal with every little scenario as far as antibody ID. I am called very often at home at all hours to help point someone in the right direction. That is far less expensive and much faster than querying a software program!

I haven't seen it, but it sounds to me as if it would be of more help in a reference lab and not a transfusion service. And like others I agree that you can't teach a computer to deal with every little scenario as far as antibody ID. I am called very often at home at all hours to help point someone in the right direction. That is far less expensive and much faster than querying a software program!

I, too, get these telephone calls at all times of the day or night and try to point them in the right direction (mind you, if it is a daft telephone call, instead of pointing them in the right direction, I may well tell them exactly where to go!).

Seriously though, I do agree with you that it very often is faster, and cheaper, than querying a software program.

:)