Ortho Gel Panel

Sorry if this was posted before but is anyone having any problems with the Ortho Gel Panel (0.8% Resolve Panel A)? We are getting inconclusive results with it but when we repeat it using an Immucor panel in Gel it comes out much clearer. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Mary,

We had the same problem and I determined the screening cells were contaminated. Now we just aliquot enough screening cells for daily use. I've heard Ortho has reduced the amount of antibiotic they put in the screening cells. Therefore, you must keep them refrigerated and carefully pour them off daily. We haven't had a problem since.

Phyllis

• 1 year later...

Personally, I think the Ortho cell problem is due to being too sensitive. I have worked up some of these w-1+ reactions . . . spurious results with Ortho cells/negative with other manufacturer's cells diluted to 0.8%. I have also found that the spurious reactions will be gone if the cells are ficin pretreated (80+% of the time). HOWEVER - ONE time enzyme treatment turned into a perfect anti-E with the Ortho cells. I have not had to deal with pouring off a daily aliquot and only rarely have had these spurious reactions . . . most are referrals. AND if I have the same lot of cells, get the same reactions with the screening cells.

Edited by David Saikin