greetings from the philippines!

redstaff2003

:)first of all iam tonz

from the philippines currently working with the philippine national red cross, bacolod city blood center. ive been working with the pnrc for 9 years as a staff my position chapter service representative-blood services also a medical technologist. at this moment iam on review for the ascpi certification.

our blood center is a category b blood center services include are as follows:

donor recruitment and retention; mass blood donation and mass blood typing; donor screening; blood component storage and seperation from whole blood to frozen plasma; platelet apheresis

glad to be part of this forum i am looking forward in sharing experiences with the different areas in the blood bank and same time learn from your experiences.

tonz

Hi Redstaff,

Welcome to BBT! I'm from the Philippines (grew up in Zambo Norte, but Pa is from Antique, Ma from Fabrica, so I do speak Hiligaynon) & I've been a member for less than a year, but I've found BBT to be very helpful with our everyday operations. I share what I learn with my staff. I'm the Medical Director of a Level I Trauma Center, and we are in the process of validating an Immucor ECHO for our BB testing. I've found BBT very helpful & I've gotten many tips from the members. Rose

• 10 months later...

Hi! I'm currently a SBB student here at American Red Cross, few months to go! Our scientific director had asked me to research incidence of HDFN involving Anti-D in the Philippines. I just could not find decent article published. Any help will be much appreciated!

Hi Tonz, Welcome and I spend a fair bit of time in your excellent country. I have not been to Bacolod but I have been to Cebu and that is not too far away.

An a message to sbbstudent. I have some good cantacts in the new Philippines National Blood Group Referrence Laboratory in Manila and one of the best serologists in the country who works at 2 large private Hospitals. If you are interested, PM me and I can give you the contact details. I also think that you will find that as the Philippine people have the Malay red cell phenotype, you may find that the commonest cause of HDFN are vMNS antibodies (anti-MUT, Mur and Mia). I am acually in the middle of a 4 month study on this right now.

@sbbstudent: ill try to ask our pathologist who is currently connected with a govt hospital in our province...ill pm you if i got something

@tim: yes right its not that too far from cebu well if you plan to travel back for vacation best month will be october =]]