Blood Release Form

Liz

I am not sure under which topic I should put this question..

I would like to know how you use the Blood Release form, where it is filled out, how many copies,

Would someone kindly share theirs with me and the policy. Also the Handover, does it have to be a verbal interactive handover, even the techs are busy?

How do you manage?

Thank you

Liz:)

I am not sure what you are asking? Our release form indicates patient demographic data (BD/mr#/name) and also has the pt and unit types, unit exp date, and compatibility studies. Our releases are person to person and always verbal. If you use a tube you would have to validate a release that assures the correct unit to the correct patient.

Dear David,

Yes that is what I meant: Relasing a Blood unit from the Blood Bank.

Does the tranporter or Nurse come down with the form from the floor and is it one copy or 2, one for us and one for the chart. Is the patients name and case number enough?

When the verbal handover occurs what do they read to each other?

Thank your for your help.

Liz

We generate one form/component . . . For us, we are interested in the pt demographics - Name, BD, and MR#. If the nurse brings the form for a unit, but we would rather release a different one, we will do so based on the demographic (but we can print out one here if it makes them feel more comfortable). The release is verbal. If you send me your email, I will attach our release policy for you. I created a severe amount of angst in our OR when I insisted that they bring "something" with the patient demographic when they came to p/u components BUT - how would they look complaining that I wouldn't release stuff unless they had pt info to release it with?

You should set your own policy based on what your institution feels is necessary. Discuss it with your Medical Director and Quality staff.