Trm.42110 (trali??)

teskridge

I hope to revise our protocol soon to better capture symptoms of TRALI. We will have an ongoing need to educate docs, nurses and lab folks also. The only suspected cases we have had, the doc did not see any reason to report it to the BB although he told the family! Fortunately, they didn't really fit TRALI, but still...

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

Any updates for this topic.

I just finished the CAP checklist and this is the biggest question I have unanswered.

Mabel - did you revise your protocols? Care to share? I'll take anything?

Thanks all

Our medical director speaks to the house staff about transfusion reactions each year and talks about TRALI. It is also covered in the education day that all our nurses must attend. The Transfusion Commmittee reviews each TRALI or suspected TRALI case we have had. Our blood supplier (Red Cross) made the move to predominantly male plasma the end of last year.

I think that the Samples that Larry is talking about is a sample from the patient. We (1) narrow down the list of donors (if applicable) to which the patient was exposed, (2) test the donors for HLA antibodies, then (3) test the patient to see if they have the corresponding antigen.

this is an interesting discussion of an interesting new CAP item. The item trm.42110 asks about a "plan to reduce the risk of" TRALI.. not recognition or reporting of. I think we will emphasize whatever our blood supplier is doing in this regard AND emphasize proper usage and indications for plasma, platelets, etc.