Temperature monitoring vendors

bmarotto

My institution is sending RFPs to vendors for a hospital-wide web based temperature and environmental monitoring system. I have asked to be present for the vendor demos. I would appreciate any suggestions regarding what features to look for and what questions to ask each vendor. The Blood Bank and laboratory would have loved to have had one of these systems years ago but since we always did such a good job manually, our administration didn't see the point in it. The reason administration is looking at this type of solution now is that pharmacy and dietary are having difficulty with Joint Commission requirements for temperature monitoring of units that are outside of their departments (i.e on nursing floors). Luckily, we found out about this and made our case for being included in the project.

We use the REES system in our Donor & HPC services... they have very good service and now the lab is looking to use them for their temperature monitoring. The hospital pharmacy has asked about them but I'm not sure what service they have decided to use as yet.

Hello! We use Isensix and have been mostly pleased with it. It is wireless, very user friendly and has excellent data backup function. We previously used the REES and decided to replace it with Isensix after a system crash where we lost quite a bit of data. That was an older version of REES though. I also liked the flexibility of Isensix versus REES. Since it is wireless you can move equipment around without much headache. My only complaint about Isensix is the slow response of customer service....but, I experienced that with REES as well. Hope that helps!

We currently just switched from Rees to Isensix too. Unfortunately, we are having a hard time with Isensix. ( contractual isssues). I think Isensix is a great system, but I found that Isensix provided very little support for the implementation of the system.

We use Mack Information System. We are replacing the Mack LabLink with the Mack Plexxium. Plexxium connects through hospital network/intranet. I believe they are working on wireless and remote self container monitor. We also use electronic data loggers on shipments that downloads to a PC with a graphic and data table.

I think every system has its good and bad points. You should arrange on site demo and speak to current customers.

Our facility demo'd Rees, Isensix, and Mack. We decided on Rees and absolutely love the system. They offer both hard wired and a true wireless system (Isensix requires and AC power outlet at every monitored point location and that can get very expensive). Rees also offered a local service staff while the others have to fly people around the country for service issues. Our experience with Rees has been great!

Rees' was very comprehensive offering both IQ/OQ validation protocols on hardware and software. They allowed us to review the doc's prior to purchase. Isensix wanted a purchase order before they would show us their validation documents. Mack's was just OK

Bob

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Are all of the current temperature monitoring systems for Transfusion Services acceptable for AABB accredited institutions? If not, which systems are?

Besides the system's monitoring capabilities, what needs to be monitored - anything?

Good morning. Temperature monitoring systems will have to be compliant on several specificities (CFR Part 11, FACT, system qualified...), and, all systems have not been developped to answer to all regulatory requirements for Blood Banks. To have a selection of centralized systems, i suggest you to visit the product review options where you will find some and to look to others specific threads in this forum. Compare them, as if they often have same options, way to use them could be diferent (for editing reports, alarms...etc) and service provided by provider (for calibration, updates, support...etc) could also have an impact on your decision. So i strongly suggest you to select one provider who has some experience in blood bank monitoring and cold chain management!

WIthin a hospital, you will need to monitor several parameters. Actually, you should take care of every temperature sensitive product, that includes ambiant products (15-25degC, 20-24 for platlets...etc). So it includes of course, fridges, freezers, incubators..., but also your ambiant temp. Humidity, Co2... should be required too.

Think also of your other department in your hospital who need to have a monitoring system (pharmacy, labs...). Systems where you could add distant site (web version), system which record diferent parameters (gaz...etc)...It's much more efficient to implement a single system in all your hospital instead of a diferent one in each department. If regulation is not the same required in blood banks than pharmacy for example, they have to monitor their facilities and equipments too.

Have a good day!

Benoît

We used the Rees system from 1991 to 2006 and then switched to CIMScan by CIMTechniques. As a longtime Rees scientific customer I can tell you that the system works as described, but is a closed and proprietary system. So everything must be bought from Rees, installed by Rees and calibrated/validated by Rees. It gets a bit expensive if you want to add new items to the system. CIMTechniques is a smaller company but is not proprietary. You can monitor whatever you want and can add probes to the system yourself if you are so inclined. Choosing a monitoring system is a big task and what you choose needs to take into consideration the cost of future expansion, annual service costs and customer service. When you get right down to it, these are the only marked differences between the various vendors. I caution you to avoid wireless. Everyone loves wireless and it is very sexy by tech standards but it is not as bullet-proof as a simple wire pair. If you really want to be all inclusive in you RFP, Include CIMTechiques and Veriteq in your list of vendors, too.

I could go on for pages about alarm systems but the big points are to look at the cost of expansion, simplicity of alarm testing and calibration/validation. In those aspects CIMScan has the competition beat, but Rees still has the market share.

I don't want to answer for Franklyn, but as far as i am concerned, i would say that the only things you could consider to do manually are:

- Checking temperature at regular intervals: as most of systems are real time monitoring, you don't have to write twice a day for example temperature records, but maybe once a day, you could check/edit reports of past temperature recorded. Even if you have alarms in case of excursion that have been set up, it's a good habit to take.

- In case of excursion and alarm, you will have to aknowledge in the system the alarm point, give some reasons/corrections.

- Calibration: in many systems, sensors come with a specific and unic file. Each year, for your calibration, you will have to insert these new files in your system (it should take less than 5 mns!)

I don't see anything else, as most of these systems have been developped to minimize all manual operations.

And i want to complete my former post, regarding things to check before buying a new monitoring system: what happens in case of power failure/network failure...etc? Always check how the system could retain data until server/power would be back. It could be a sensor itself with memory, antennas (in case of RF) with memory, specific devices between sensors and your server (UPS...) with hard drive...As you are going to be 100% real time and all automatic, you have to consider that case, to avoid any lost of data.

Benoît

One the system is installed, calibrated and validated there is very little to do to monitor the system. Our system automatically produces a daily events report that lists any and all alarm events and allows us to audit the response by the staff to alarm events. That way we can make certain that all alarms are investigated and documented adequately. Twice per year we recalibrate and alarm test (which is also a mini-validation) to verify that our units are reading the temperature correctly and that the alarm parameters have not been changed. That is it. There is no daily, manual, temperature check and the system documents the temperature of all monitored units every 15 minutes. Hospital wide we have over 300 items on the system, only about 35 of which belong to the blood bank. We also use the system to monitor when refrigerator doors are opened (trauma units in use) and other labs monitor CO2 saturation and LN2 levels.

We used the Rees system from 1991 to 2006 and then switched to CIMScan by CIMTechniques. As a longtime Rees scientific customer I can tell you that the system works as described, but is a closed and proprietary system. So everything must be bought from Rees, installed by Rees and calibrated/validated by Rees. It gets a bit expensive if you want to add new items to the system. CIMTechniques is a smaller company but is not proprietary. You can monitor whatever you want and can add probes to the system yourself if you are so inclined. Choosing a monitoring system is a big task and what you choose needs to take into consideration the cost of future expansion, annual service costs and customer service. When you get right down to it, these are the only marked differences between the various vendors. I caution you to avoid wireless. Everyone loves wireless and it is very sexy by tech standards but it is not as bullet-proof as a simple wire pair. If you really want to be all inclusive in you RFP, Include CIMTechiques and Veriteq in your list of vendors, too.

I could go on for pages about alarm systems but the big points are to look at the cost of expansion, simplicity of alarm testing and calibration/validation. In those aspects CIMScan has the competition beat, but Rees still has the market share.

We did a complete vendor review with Cim and Rees. I am not sure about the past but you can add and validate probes yourself with Rees, if you chose to. Also, real costing (outside labor,service ,validation,downtime,training...) Rees was less expensive for our facility. They offered wired and wireless which also was a deciding factor. We actually have wired in our bloodbank and wireless in our main labs for flexibility. I agree that wireless is the new flavor of the month out there. I also agree that you should get presentations from multiple vendors. Ask for references. Make sure there are local facilities on your list.

Good Luck kwm

I haven't looked at Rees's offerings since we switched back in 2006; but just about every Environmental Monitoring system out there has a wireless option of some kind and often more than one. We have a mix of wired and wireless inputs on our system, too. My wired inputs are virtually bulletproof but the wireless inputs can, on occasion, loose communication with the system. The system tells you this (it alarms) but it is one possible source of failure. If you go wireless make certain the monitoring hardware on the refrigerator has its own memory to store readings data and then re-transmit it to the system when connectivity is restored.

When wireless was was very new (remember the early b-series?) a friend of mine setup a wireless network in his home. Everything went well until the late fall when we discovered that whenever his furnace turned on his network went down! Granted, the current stuff is much better (we are up to version n) but electro-magnetic interference can still take down a wireless connection and hospitals are FULL of EM sources!

As the COO of a wireless temperature monitoring and compliance reporting company, I fully agree with your concerns about the lack of reliability of wireless. Some systems overcome most of the issues, so let’s see what they are:

1. Systems with a cellular-like redundant reader network have multiple sensors trained on the same sensor. Where wired systems seem better connected, they do not have a reader redundancy standard.

2. Wireless sensors keep past data can give it back when the LAN/WAN or network faults are fixed. Wired systems that have the same LAN/WAN problems but have no memory if their cabling or wire gets severed.

3. Sensors have long life batteries and require no service for 10 years. They can be placed anywhere inside the cold space. Also their appliances can be moved or rearranged easily.

4. Wireless sensors can cost 10% of an installed wired sensor. Customers can double up wireless sensors to increase reliability, so much more reliable at only 20% the cost.

• 2 weeks later...
My institution is sending RFPs to vendors for a hospital-wide web based temperature and environmental monitoring system. I have asked to be present for the vendor demos. I would appreciate any suggestions regarding what features to look for and what questions to ask each vendor. The Blood Bank and laboratory would have loved to have had one of these systems years ago but since we always did such a good job manually, our administration didn't see the point in it. The reason administration is looking at this type of solution now is that pharmacy and dietary are having difficulty with Joint Commission requirements for temperature monitoring of units that are outside of their departments (i.e on nursing floors). Luckily, we found out about this and made our case for being included in the project.

We looked at several companies (including Rees) for our RFP. We chose Veriteq based on ease of use, flexibility, ability to install ourselves & cost. The company's data loggers are on the space station, batteries last 10+ years, the company itself is very customer service oriented (so are the others). We are a multi-site system, have the software in one location and data loggers (so far) in 4 others. The ability to self manage the system was important to us as we tend to move things around. Having a vendor come in is pricey. The software is incredibly easy to use.

Hello, i am new here. No i did not hear about next control system, but i will add them to my list of potential providers. What about others i saw in the marketplace section: mirador system by alternatives tech pharma seems complete, freshloc solution...? Does anyone work with one of them? i am one of those persons who believe that outsiders could be better sometimes than leaders!;)

We have been using the Plexxium with hard wiring for about 3 years and have been very pleased with them. We have 2 nodes and about 35 systems connected to them. We also have chart recorders as a back up on our blood bank equipment. When inspectors want to see temp charts it is so much easier to show the graphs from the Plexxium that diggng through charts.

• 3 months later...

CheckPoint - Temptrak - Isensix - Aeroscout - .....there are lots to choose from out there and new kids on the block all the time, all seem to do the trick but you want to do your homework on general systems to start. They are not lifesavers, but a tool to make your life simpler and ensure documentation.