Neonatal Platelet Transfusions

bbbirder

I have posted this on the AABB web page, but thought I'd post here also...

I have some questions about transfusion practices for neonates. We rarely transfuse newborns with PLTs, so rare that it has only happened once in 13 years (and probably longer)...

We were lucky and the newborn we needed to give PLT was an O positive, and we had group O randoms. We also had a group A apheresis product. But that was all we had for PLT, so I am wondering what our options would be if the baby was instead group B or AB? or if we only had group O? We normally only have 1 apheresis and 6 randoms, sometimes they are all group O. We are 2 hours from our blood supplier.

What are the recommendations for transfusion of ABO-mismatched plasma to a neonate, especially if we only have group O platelets? This baby was shipped out very quickly, but I am thinking about the ice storm we had just one week ago that left all traffic paralyzed for hours...

Is volume reduction and resuspending in saline ever recommended? or is that just too 'messy', with too much loss of PLTs? What would you tell the doctor in this situation?

Thanks,

Linda Frederick

If you are able to volume reduce, I think that would be your best option if you do not have ABO compatible platelets. I would not be too concerned with giving an ABO plasma incompatible platelet to an adult but neonates do not do well with the same situation. I am not a fan of the whole volume reducing procedure and luckily we do not have the necessary equipment so if we need such a procedure done we rely on one of the other hospitals in our system.

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest that you request AB Rh Neg random platelets or AB Rh Neg Apheresis Platelets for your stock. These products may not always be available, but your supplier may be willing to accommodate this request as much as possible - especially when made during contract negotiation time. :D Carolyn

We offer volume reduction if we have to give out of type platelets to a newborn. We do not try to do saline replacement, just reduce the plasma volume. The biggest problem is that it is time consuming and the product is short-dated afterward. Most physicians choose not to volume reduce when they find out how long it takes.