Temp Monitoring Devices

lef5501

For those of you using temperature monitoring devices, such as Safe-T-Vue or Hemo-temp II, is there any kind of QC that needs to be done? I am looking into using one of these products and would like to know what is involved. Just wanted to know if QC is required to prove that it actually changes color, etc at the correct temp or is there an internal QC.

Why don't you do an internal validation with some expired units of blood. Put you Safe-T-Vue or Hematemp on the units and expose them to different temperatures to check the reaction. Your quality person would love you for it. I have used both the Safe-T-Vue and the Hematemps and I much prefer the Hematemps. The Safe-T-Vue is very sensitive and can change at the point that you are applying it to the unit. The Hematemps are much more stable. They do require activation before use but there are activation incubaters available that you can keep a certain activated and ready for use when needed.

The only problem I find with the hema-temp is tha tthe only ones I can find go to 10o, not 6o. We are planning on using these for OR coolers which I thought we all decided was considred storage not transport an dwould therefore need to be kept below 6o

• 2 months later...