Grading Reactions

bevydawn

I have a question about how other people achieve consistency between techs when grading reactions. I realize that there is bound to be some variations when people read reactions, but I feel that they should generally come relatively close to one another. Yesterday I received a specimen on a patient who has for some time now expressed very weak reactions with her ABORh, usually a 1+ and very rarely making it to even a 2+. When I did her initial type, I received the usual weak reactions. However, when another tech followed behind me later to crossmatch units, he reported her reactions out as 3 and 4+! I realize that refrigerating a specimen could help enhance the reactions, but having done this particular patient several times prior, I feel confident that her reactions would not have reached this level of reactivity. And this is definitely not the first time something of this nature has occured. We have done competencies here before, but then it is just the usual "Well, maybe I dont shake my tubes off as hard as you do..." or these few techs read them consistently with everyone else for the competency. Any suggestions??

We use a competency on their first day of training just to be sure that they are somewhere in the ballpark. That way you could catch it before they have been working for you for a long time and would become offended at being questioned. We actually have never experienced anyone not grading reactions consistently.:rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some pictures of standardized grading of reactions: Got this from the internet. Under Google type Blood Bank + grading reactions. Click on Google Pictures and you can get this site.

We do competencies four times a year. I have not had any issues with consitency. As long as you define how to grade reactions, and perhaps add pictures for reference, you should be able to obtain consistency.

Hope this helps. MWL

Posted Image

I try to go to google but ...no luck. Can you please post the link here? I spent lots of time looking for same but no luck before. I like the one you have posted here but want to see if I can print from the website or if they have same in color!!