Patient transported autologous blood

Hi all,

We are located in Boston, MA and have a patient who will be donating two units of autologous blood at Canadian Blood Services (CBS). The patient lives in Canada, and will be having surgery with us.

CBS is asking the patient to carry the blood from them (CBS) to us when she travels here for surgery.

The patient is requesting a letter to present to US Customs so she will be able to bring the blood into the US.

I went to the US Customs site and emailed them asking what they would require on such a letter, but am still waiting for a response.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

I cross the border every day but I'm on vacation this week otherwise I could have asked one of the customs officers. I know they give us a difficult time with our lunches especially with chicken, beef and fresh fruit so my guess is you will probably have to something prearranged with US customs.

Would you belive that the blood is being transported by person other then any blood center is ok??? In this case patient's own blood so may be it's ok....but during transport you donot know what could happen? SOme blood center do export blood from outside of USA...why can't your blood center arrange that with CBS???

I found this number on their website (202) 354-1000 for general inquiries. The experience that I have had trying to call US customs is that you get transferred through the automated phone system several times and can wait anywhere up to an hour. If you can find an email address somewhere you might be that much further ahead.