Use of safety shield

Tricia

My safety officer is telling me that I must use a splash shield to open tubes for transfusion service testing. He says that even though we use safety top tubes, aerosols are created and we must protect staff. I contend that aerosols are not what those shields protect against, it is splashes. But I must ask you all, is it common practice to use a shield to work behind?

Some type of barrier is a great idea when opening specimens! But as in all engineering-type controls, it should fit your work situation . I dislike being informed of only one type of barrier available -- and I hate face shields in normal lab conditions, unless absolutely necessary.

We use HemoGard tubes, which, when used properly, offer significant protection against sprays. But we have a pull-down type face shield installed on every workstation that do not obstruct your arms and hands as much.

We have pull down shields available at each work station. I have to agree that they are more useful against splashes than aerosols, but a splash is also more likely to happen when you are opening a sample tube. We really only use the shields when we open the tubes or cutting segments (which we do not do very often - we use the seg-safe devices). Otherwise, the volumes are low enough that a splash is pretty unlikely.