5 day plasma

John C. Staley

For those of you who convert your thawed FFP to thawed plasma with a 5 day outdate I have a question. We are currently getting a great deal of the "Frozen in 24 hours" plasma from our supplier. If you use this product and convert it to thawed plasma do you give it a 5 day outdate from thawing or a 4 day outdate from thawing because it has already lost a day?

Thanks

John

We have been coverting our FFP that has expired from the 24 hour expiration time to thawed plasma. Our expiration time for the thawed plasma is 5 days from the time it is thawed. When I change the expiration date on the plasma I add 4 days to the expiration of the expired FFP. We have found this to a huge savings in costs because we use the thawed plasma for traumas and for some of our open hearts that use a lot of plasma. I think last month we only 4 thawed plasmas that had to be discarded because of outdate.

In the AABB forums in response to this question, Susan Wilson referenced 23rd edition of Standards:

5.7.5.12 Thawed Plasma….shall be prepared in a closed system from Fresh Frozen Plasma or Plasma Frozen within 24 hours of Collection.

and then

5.1.8A #32 which specifies an expiration date of 5 days for thawed plasma

So it looks like the expiration date for plasma frozen within 24 hours would be handled identically to FFP when thawed (24 hours) and then converted to Thawed Plasma, 5 days after thawing.

Our supplier will start providing Plasma frozen within 24 hours (FP24) within a few months. My question is how to create this in our LIS (Cerner classic) without creating so many products. Our system requires a separate product be created for every frozen product that is thawed. So now we have (just for whole blood dervived plasma): FFP (frozen), FFP Thawed and Thawed Plasma and for FP24 we will need FP24 (frozen), FP24 thawed, and we can use the same Thawed Plasma. This is in addition to apheresis derived FFP (multiple sizes) and Divided pediatric sizes, all of which have their own thawed products and aliquot produts. We are getting overwhelmed by the number of products needed. Does anyone use a naming convention in their LIS that would cover both FFP and FP24? Does anyone thaw these products straight to Thawed Plasma, 5 day and skip calling it thawed FFP (or thawed FP24) for 24 hours? We currently find very few transfusion recipients that cannot get Thawed Plasma in place of FFP for their transfusion requests.

In the AABB forums in response to this question, Susan Wilson referenced 23rd edition of Standards:

5.7.5.12 Thawed Plasma….shall be prepared in a closed system from Fresh Frozen Plasma or Plasma Frozen within 24 hours of Collection.

and then

5.1.8A #32 which specifies an expiration date of 5 days for thawed plasma

So it looks like the expiration date for plasma frozen within 24 hours would be handled identically to FFP when thawed (24 hours) and then converted to Thawed Plasma, 5 days after thawing.

Our supplier will start providing Plasma frozen within 24 hours (FP24) within a few months. My question is how to create this in our LIS (Cerner classic) without creating so many products. Our system requires a separate product be created for every frozen product that is thawed. So now we have (just for whole blood dervived plasma): FFP (frozen), FFP Thawed and Thawed Plasma and for FP24 we will need FP24 (frozen), FP24 thawed, and we can use the same Thawed Plasma. This is in addition to apheresis derived FFP (multiple sizes) and Divided pediatric sizes, all of which have their own thawed products and aliquot produts. We are getting overwhelmed by the number of products needed. Does anyone use a naming convention in their LIS that would cover both FFP and FP24? Does anyone thaw these products straight to Thawed Plasma, 5 day and skip calling it thawed FFP (or thawed FP24) for 24 hours? We currently find very few transfusion recipients that cannot get Thawed Plasma in place of FFP for their transfusion requests.

We do not currently get Plasma frozen within 24 hours, but according to Std. 5.1.8A #30, "Plasma, Frozen Within 24 Hours after Phlebotomy, Thawed" has a 24-hour expiration.

I can't see another interpretation.